Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

DiY Gauge pod

Hi all,

Since VW have discontinued the OEM gauge pod / plate that was optional on G60 models I wondered if anyone on the forum has embarked on a DiY version to fit either in the same location (under ashtray) or in place of centre console heating vents or knows of someone that has. Looks like this is the only was to get gauges installed aside from fitting an A-pillar pod (which am doing anyway).

Many thanks

SCOTCORRADOG60

i have a VDO. before that i made my own. If anything it fits better than the VDO.

Buy a Black ring binder.

draw around the cassette holder. WOrk out centres for guages. cut um with a circle cutter on a drill.

Use 2 pieces of folder to make it bout 8mm thick. plenty rigid enough. mount gauges. I used sticky back velcro to secure it. glue a couple of plastic bloks on the card n stick the velcro in the bin. Job sorted. the black grain folders even look like proper stuff. the only downside it the gauges are not counter sunk unless you cut the holes in the top piece of folder bigger.

what gauges are you using? i have a boost gauge on the a-pillar but i'm going to be buying an air/fuel and volts in the next couple weeks.. just curious if anyone has found the need for yet another different type of gauge.

Im using Summit racing AF and TIM (yes i know its cheap) oil pressure. Im gonna replace the oil with a Summit oil to match. Im gonna buy a 60mm Boost n fit it in a pod. Gonna speak to my scooby friends as japan is the land of grey interiors so they have grey pods i believe

ya, i'm goin with summit for a/f as well... problem is that my current boost gauge is autometer... so i think i'll buy an autometer volts to match that on the a-pillar and stick the a/f somewhere else... not too sure where yet tho! i'd like to have it in a discrete spot so its not blinkin me to death all night.. but i want it visable when i'm comin up to redline so i can make sure its not goin lean.

do you find that the summit pisses you off with the flashin lights?

Lanny,

Hopefully going to have combination oil temperature and pressure (2 in 1), boost, air / fuel ratio and inlet temp gauges, hence boost and air / fuel in A-pillar pod and others in centre console,

SCOTCORRADOG6O

at the vag concern you can order a panel for under the ashtray in which are holes for 52mm instruments.. every brand fits in there and the panel costs about 10 euro. :lol:

Hans thats the VDO gauge panel which you are talking about but as of last october it was discontinued at main dealers and there aren't any left at any dealerships in the uk now so the only other alternative is make your own now!!! :D

Yeah but I think that whilst both LHD and RHD version are obsolete, you might still be able to get the LHD version from dealers stock.

are you sure that this panel is different in lhd or rhd ???? the space available seems symmetric (i hope you understand what i mean, my english is a bit poor)

anyway... the panel that WAS in my corrado was built from a cassete holder with a plastic panel glued on and the cassette unit removed.. worked perfect, but i preferred the original look

Yeah I'm 90% certain that there is a different LHD and RHD part. I know what you mean though - you would've thought that the centre console would have remained the same whether or not it had a LHD or RHD dash.

Yeah, they are definatly different, i have one in mine.

Scot, You could always do an idea that i saw in Biggar at the weekend (well, the car park at least!) I Saw a G40 with its boost gauge nicely , Duct taped into the centre consle!!!!!

I bought both, LHD from the US said it would fit didnt returned it and cost me 40 bucks in postage :mad:

Then got two RHD ones as I waited so long for the UK dealers to produce them

Sold the other one on the forum for a fiver

Cheers

Fat Tony, why wouldn't it fit? was it cos of the seat belt thing. would it fit the passenger side of your motor?