Sign in to follow this  
Ford

Changing exhaust, new cat required. Big bucks??

Hi, my C currently has a powerflow exhaust fitted to it. I want to change it as I dont like the huge pipe at the back. But it has been decatted and this does not meet current regulations, esp as my car was registered in December 1992, a few months after the regulations came in to force (August 92). So, it should'nt really pass its MOT, but somehow it has sneaked through these past couple of years.

So if I am looking to change the exhaust do I need a manifold back system, i.e. the whole thing, including the catalyst? I have been looking at a few and I am keen on the Magnex, but this would be way over £400, just for the whole system!!! :(

Please can you give me a few suggestions, anybody had to do this before? What is the cheapest or best option. Should I just stick with the powerflow and change the pipe at the back and hope for the best in the MOT? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You need the CAT and system, which bolt to the OE front pipes. Aftermarket "Full systems" usually included the front pipes and you don't need those and is why the cost is £400 for a Magnex for instance.

Try the Powerflow on the MOT first and see if it passes. The emissions are the important bit. If it passes those then the tester may overlook the absence of a cat. Not saying he will for definite, but many have been known to.

If it passes, then you can fit a nicer tailpipe and save yourself a lot of cash.....

, esp as my car was registered in December 2002

didnt realise they made them that new :shock: :lol: :lol:

most MOT'ers wont be bothered by the lack of cat though

, esp as my car was registered in December 2002

Sorry mistake you know what I mean... 1992...

Many thanks for the advice kevhaywire. So maybe it is worth carrying out an emissions test before I decide to change the pipe and see if it is okay. Otherwise I am looking at a Magnex which includes the cat, but without the front pipes. So is that the system that I have seen for just over £300? Many thanks!

That £300 Magnex price is just for the catback system, well, it's nearer £340 actually. I'm not sure how much cats are tbh. I haven't checked. A s/hand one would be a good bet I reckon but plead ignorance on the MOT day and if it passes the emissions, it should pass tbh. 92 is a grey year for Cats so you might get away with it.

magnex prob wont include a cat mate. anyways - if its powerflow then try this (assuming you are happy with the exhaust)

get tailpipe cut off and a more suitable one welded on.

get a silencer put in where the cat goes if its passing emmissions.

or AFAIK powerflow do a hiflow cat for 100-150 quid. might be worth a shot.

Or you could always go Miltek with Miltek sports cat - JMR can help here.

As Kev says, cheapest bet will be getting a second hand VR cat. They do come up. I sold one on ebay after a struggle for 30 quid!

Depends what system you use as it will be cut to the right length. It the TT cat is the same length as a VR cat, then bob's your uncle, although it's unlikely that they are due to the 4WD transmission.

BTW, I'd highly recommend a Supersprint exhaust for the VR. Up to now the options have mainly been Magnex and Miltek. Miltek seem to be a bit touch and go on the quality of fit, so I was always considering a Magnex. Vince @ Stealth sold me on the Supersprint, and I can really see why. Top notch.

Ouch, so Magnex is more than £400 with the cat, big money. Would like to play ignorance on MOT day, but it could be a risk I guess. Esp if I am going to pay money for a tail pipe etc. Also if I ever came to sell the car, it could be a problem I guess?

Thanks Pablo, yep powerflow seems like a really good exhaust, its only the tail I am not happy with. I might check out your highflow cat suggestion, could be onto a winner there and can get tail done by them as well, something a little more subtle. They seem to do some decent pipes - maybe a boxter pipe or something.

Will try out Kev's suggestion first and see how the emissions go.

many thanks :D

:D

As Kev says, cheapest bet will be getting a second hand VR cat. They do come up. I sold one on ebay after a struggle for 30 quid!

Okay, I could get a second hand cat. A guy I know is breaking a C down the road and it still has the exhaust. I could grab the cat off it. How long is a cats life. Car been broken is an L reg, so I dont want to just go through all this again, if it only has a life of 10 years or something. Then once I have the cat is it easy to fit. Say I got a cat back system, would the secondhand cat and the system go on pretty easy? As powerflow is a custom exhaust, I am not sure whats happened under there and what would be required.

The other option would maybe be to take the whole exhaust from the car being broken and start again. I know this means cutting the exhaust out, because of the axle. But do you recon this is feasible/an option or for the trouble/cost or am I better off getting a decent system like the ones mentioned above.

MoonlightVR, will check out supersprint too, there seems to be a lot of talk about these systems lately. Do they fit as well as a magnex. Cost a lot more for a supersprint? I guess I would have to salvage an old cat before considering this too.

Cheers

SuperSprint are the best fitting and sounding exhausts, period. IMO of course :lol:

I actually like the orginal VAG Liestritz system too. Superb quality, sound and fit.

Full stainless systems are completely hit and miss. There's no guarantee you'll get refinement or a quality fit from them, but you certainly do get that with hybrid Mild/stainless steel systems such as VAG and SuperSprint.

How long is a cats life.

well mine is on the complete original system so thats about 13 years and if a cat has nine lives that means it should last about 117 years :lol: :roll:

It's very difficult to predict how long a cat will last. Alot depends on mileage, whether it was from a car that was used for alot of stop/start runs, quality of fuel etc.

On the whole they're pretty strong, and a second hand one will be cheap. I'd buy it cheaply - say 20 quid and fit it if you're worried about MOT man and emissions. If it fails soon, it fails, but you've only spent 20 quid so not too much bother.

Superpsrint fits exactly as well as a OE VW item, so it might be even better than a Magnex for fit!! Quality if fit is second to none.

They're not cheap systems though - but the best never are! You're looking at circa 430 quid for cat back system.

Thanks Kev and Coolrado, this sounds really encouraging. If the VAG one is so good then should I try and salvage this one from down the road, it looks decent. Would there be anything to worry about? I guess labour costs might be reasonably high considering it has to be removed, mine has to be removed and then the old one welded onto my car. Still sound like a good idea?

They're not cheap systems though - but the best never are! You're looking at circa 430 quid for cat back system.

Holy s###.... :shock: £430, if its that much I wonder how much a supersprint full system would cost with a cat. Definately got to salvage this cat from the breaker!!!! Will see if this VAG idea is feasible if not then will start saving for the best... supersprint....

if you can look down the pipe into the cat and shine a torch through the cat it should be a nice fine honeycomb pattern if there are any large holes or patches that are blocked up or look melted together its probably knackered

Holy s###.... :shock: £430, if its that much I wonder how much a supersprint full system would cost with a cat. Definately got to salvage this cat from the breaker!!!! Will see if this VAG idea is feasible if not then will start saving for the best... supersprint....

"SuperSprint don't do cats, but if they did, they'd probably be the best in the world" :lol:

Aye £430 is dear, but when you see one..... :shock:

kevhaywire, hell, this makes it more the more important to salvage this cat!!! Any comments on recovering the whole VAG exhaust as well, or is it a waste of time. Should I rather save my pennies (beg, steal and borrow) for the supersprint cat back?

coolrado, will see if he can take if off on the w/e and will be inspecting it really closely...

The VAG system would be my preference after a SuperSprint. There should be some kicking about on ebay (even brand new ones) as they last 10+ years easily!

German swedish sell the rear two boxes for £155 (genuine) and the front box has to come from VAG, and it's about £70ish. Rear axle has to come down though, so good excuse to do the axle goodridge hoses at the same time.

Rear axle has to come down though, so good excuse to do the axle goodridge hoses at the same time.

Thanks for that, I am tempted. However axle down, are we talking big labour costs? THat sounds like a major job. What are these goodridge hoses all about then? I've not heard of them, how do they benefit the car?

£225 for all the bits I need for a VAG exhaust doesnt sount too bad? It's the labour that is going to hurt isnt it?