Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

G60 running cold?

I think you can get the valves from GSF. Stevemac can you confirm or deny my claim? :mrgreen:

We list only the valve kits for the Golf MK2 - not sure if they're the same as the Corrado ones ??

Our part number is 17855 £25.60 + vat

done the thermo and filled as per advice still no heater and temp exactly the same really thought id solved it as i crept over 70 then i started driving ot went right back down again grrrrrrrr :mad: i might have to take it into a garage at this rate changing thermo was easy though! any more ideas people? im going to try a expansion bottle cap as a last thing to try maybe is not letting enough pressure build up but this normally makes a car run hot not cold.

I think you can get the valves from GSF. Stevemac can you confirm or deny my claim? :mrgreen:

We list only the valve kits for the Golf MK2 - not sure if they're the same as the Corrado ones ??

Our part number is 17855 £25.60 + vat

I am 99% sure the valves are the same. The Corrado/Passat/Golf and Jetta of that era were all subject to the same recall.

Gavin

dammit looks like its the garage :( if the heater worked id think the sender was duff as the fan still comes on as expected so its hot enough in the rad how would i check to see if the heater control was opening properly??

if your fan is coming on, then I'd say your temp gauge is shafted...

Connect the two pins in the black temp sender's wiring with the ignition on and see where the gauge points to... ;)

if your fan is coming on, then I'd say your temp gauge is shafted...

Connect the two pins in the black temp sender's wiring with the ignition on and see where the gauge points to... ;)

the guages sometimes drop to o after doing this test though and you may need to dismantle the clocks and re-connect the mechanism but it shouldnt damage it.

my temp guage was getting a little sluggish recently so i decided to have a fiddle and it seems the sticky grease used to dampen and lubricate the pivots for the temp needle gets much more sticky with the cold weather so i removed a bit of the excess grease and the needle now seems more accurate 8)

yeah but that doesnt explain the heater not working its going into the garage tomo there pretty good with corrados gonna get the ball joints done at the same time as well seems to be the cause of most peoples knocking sounds oo err!!

Let us know what the garage said it is when they've fixed it :roll:

Hopefully it will be the same thing on mine :|

garage called back the water is at the right temp 87 deg so there doing the sender and going to flush the system through to see if the matrix is blocked to be honest they are sounding pretty confused :roll:

they did the ball joints but it needed a new wheel bearing and flange i suppose they mean the hub?? im just glad they found that problem as the handling was really bad torque steering all over the place. hope im going to get a phone call tomorrow saying its all fixed and was very cheap!!!!!

oh well got my private plate through today cant wait to put it on :D

got it back the temp gauge now reads correctly running between 80-90 all the time heater still not working the garage say its definately those valves to the matrix but vw will do this for free as it was recalled im going to call them tomo to see if i can blag it apparently the recalled golfs that were 12 years old last year??

the car ive just brought is running below 70 deg water temp all the time any ideas?

This is deffo your temp sender!!! I have just replaced both of mine and my temp guage works fine now. I also replaced the fan themo switch as that was cutting in a bit late.

The part no's for the bits are.............from GS&F

Temp sensor 2 pin black/green.....93493.......£5.40

Temp sensor 2 pin blue.....93494A.....£6.90

Rad Thermo switch....93478....£7.95

All + VAT of course :mad:

I am pretty sure if you replace these bits then you will be fine, temp wise.

As for the heater problem, mine seems to have fixed itself :cheers: .......However, i think the problem is my water pump, since the heat coming from the vents is dependant on engine rpm. I had a similar problem with my Leon Cupra where the drive into the impeller was slipping inside the impeller and hence not turning the impeller at the correct speed.

Yet another fantastic VW design :evil:

It is probably worth removing your water pump and seeing if you can turn the impeller on the shaft whilst holding the multi v drive stationary.........I will be doing this his week some time and will let you know the results.

Does anyone know the part no/ price for a new water pump for a G60......forewarned is forearmed after all :)

Hope this helps

Funny you should mention the water pump as mine has been making that wishy washy?? noise when its ticking over this might be the pump but g60s make so many noises! its difficullt to tell i was wondering if the slider control isnt moving the air controll flap properly is there a way of setting this up? is the water pump an easy job on g60's the thermo was supposed to be a charger out job but it was just a case of moving a bracket for the pas in the end are any special tools needed?

The pump is the same as other 4cyl models. It's full-on job to replace it, as the charger has to come out. Only thing about doing the job is a good selection of allen key sockets makes it so much easier. It's going to take a minimum of 3 hours.

Gavin

MAY not be able to crack this this week as i have had an op and the wound has become infected :cry:

As soon as i do it though i will report back, maybe with a "How To" bit with pics.

The water pump is about £25 (exchange) from VAG for a new whole unit (don't just get the impeller)

You may also want to get a new stat and plastic housing etc...

tough break jinx im back in cars after a spell on bikes but got bored of hospital food! :cry: if its the water pump surely the car wouldnt be running at the right temp as it wouldnt g o round the radiator quick enough? did you replace the the expansion cap? i havent yet might do it tommorrowjust to rule something else out

if its the water pump surely the car wouldnt be running at the right temp as it wouldnt go round the radiator quick enough?

Not necessarily - my old Scirocco 1.8i had a blocked thermostat & water was not circulating into the radiator at all. The only time the car started to get really hot was in traffic. Just the air flow from normal driving was enough to keep the engine cool'ish.