Sign in to follow this  
Oakley

Engine Clean?

Hi All

Just a quick question about cleaning my VR's engine. What is the best way to do it and can it cause any problems? A friend of mine said to steam the engine while it is running! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oakley

Again this has come up quite a bit in the past - search for 'clean AND engine' on the search section and I am sure something will come up - there was a fairly lengthy thread on this very subject no more than a month or two ago.

Steam cleaning is a mixed blessing. Sure it'll make the under bonnet look nice, but it can cause no end of problems with electrical gremlins later on...

Personally I'd rather see a grubby honest engine than a tarted up one that might be hiding leaky gaskets or worse...

Auto-glym engine cleaner, a LARGE sponge, some hot water in a bucket and plenty of elbow grease.... 8)

That's how mine stays clean anyway... 8)

Hi All

Just a quick question about cleaning my VR's engine. What is the best way to do it and can it cause any problems? A friend of mine said to steam the engine while it is running! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oakley

Best way is to strip everything off the engine, degrease, polish and rebuild :wink: