Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

G60 Rabbit Project last update 11/22/04

We got the car for $40. We are dropping in a G60 engine that is going to be quite built. Here are the pictures:

When we picked the car up:

DSC00667.JPG

DSC00669.JPG

DSC00670.JPG

After 1 day with it so far:

-removed bumpers

-washed

-de-spidered outside of car (inside is still to be dealt with)

DSC00693.JPG

a new happy home:

DSC00697.JPG

DSC00705.JPG

DSC00702.JPG

I would have to say...Not too shabby for $40... =]

Please Donate any parts you can.

is it a 1980 diesel? last of the german mk1's (in the states that is) gotta love the diesel cars for swaps.. no smog b/s to deal with..

It is a running 79' 1.8 8v. No diesel, but smog isn’t going to be an issue for me; I have a few friends in the industry.

YES it is leather!!! I was shocked. The interior is amazing. I haven’t gotten a chance to clean it out yet. So those pictures of it are with a dirty interior. I only paid $40 USD for it (which translates into 21.80 GBP) for this car…it was a smoking deal. Original owner even.

I am picking up my spare G60 engine from my parents house today to start tearing it apart for the rebuild. This is going to be one quick little bunny when I’m done with it... =]

love the grille and headlamps on these, and a proper pimped up interior to match :D

she's looking good already

UPDATED!

DAY 3:

Time to start on the new engine. We picked up the extra G60 engine i had stored at my parents place. We brought it home and started disassembling it. We got most everything off of the block and head that night.

DSC00738.JPG

DAY 4:

This day is where we got the most work done on the engine. We disassembled the entire engine. Organized the pistons/rods and set them aside for being hot tanked. Now that engine is just the block and nothing else right now. The head, intake manifold, and throttle body are going to be sent off to be ported and polished by a friend of mine in the next few weeks here. Here are some pictures of the disassembly.

DSC00730.JPG

DSC00739.JPG

DSC00743.JPG

DSC00745.JPG

DSC00750.JPG

This one is pretty amusing; this was the first piston that we removed. =]

DSC00751.JPG

After the pistons were removed we really got to take a look at the cylinders of the engine and check out the wear. Everything looked perfect! This bad boy is ready to be cleaned up!

DSC00756.JPG

As of right now, we are waiting on hot tanking all of the parts we plan on re using on this swap, the new piston rings someone is donating to us, and on delivering the head, intake manifold, and throttle body to the machine shop.

Sometime this week we are going to be taking a drill with some wire brush bits on it to strip any gunk off of the block.

More updates soon to come.

If you guys thought my 2.0L 16v engine was clean...wait until this one is done!

it's gonna rock

hope you ain't gonna put that DTM on you have hanging there :D

I think I am going to rock the stock exhaust on the car. The DTM was going to be put onto my current Corrado but I don’t know if I want to take the time to out it on there.

Yeah, this car is going to rock real hard. Wait until you guys see this engine...man its going to be so great.

My friend is getting a barrel for his hot tank mid next week. I am so stoked to have a friend with one of those at his house.

Day 5:

-Sand Blasting...

Before:

DSC00805.JPG

DSC00806.JPG

DSC00808.JPG

After:

DSC00810.JPG

DSC00813.JPG

Kevin from Arizona decided to come over and give a helping hand:

DSC00812.JPG

DSC00803.JPG

Now its time to hot tank it and then start to rebuild/paint it! The block looks amazing now! I cannot wait to show you guys the finished engine... =]

Looks good. I cheated and used a brand new block for mine! Wish I had sandblasting kit and a hottank tho :mrgreen:

Yeah me too, then you could help me clean up that V8...

Well when the engines actually got proper mounts the hoist will be free. Not sure iif the engine stand will cope but we could move the whole thing to my garage and start stripping it. Alternatively i'm sure the building site next door will have a skip.