Sign in to follow this  
jimborae

C 16v Electrical or fuel problem?

A problem has developed with my C 16v and I dont know what it is. It starts fine but when i drive off it seems to misfire & dye on anything other than full throttle. When I floor it, it kind of pauses and then picks up, if i let it idle it will run very rough, like on 3 cyclinders but if I carry on driving it usually goes away. The car has been standing for over a year till now. I've replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs & leads already but it didn't help.

Any help much appreciated

replace the air filter, dizzy cap and rotor arm too...

Also check all the vacuum hoses around the engine bay, especially the ones around the airbox area which will cause problems like this...

How much fuel was in the tank while it was left standing? It's possible that the fuel's gone off or got water in it and is causing the problems... :|

Hope this helps... 8)

Dizzy & rotor have been checked & replaced, cant remember how much fuel was in it but it been filled up a couple of times since. Which vacuum hoses are you referring too? I haven't checked the air filter & can't remember when I replaced it last so I miy change that at the weekend.

there's a shed load of thin vacuum hoses on the 1.8 16V which go to the airbox and around the engine to all sorts of places (can't remember where exactly, it's been a few years since I had a 16v...) If ANY of these are damaged it'll run like a sack of poo... :?

What about the lambda probe. Maybe thats 'done one'. Could be the flap in the metering head sticky.

Gavin

i had a very similar problem --> my car wouldnt idel sometimes, it woudlnt start sometimes, and when i floored it it would do the same, pause and then slowly pick up

I got a service...its fine now.

although my fuse box needs replacing....which was why my car would cut out sometimes(fuel pump fuse was melted into fuse box)

yeah, with ya there Gav... Didn't realise it was a 2.0 16V else I'd have mentioned the Lambda myself... 8)

there's a shed load of thin vacuum hoses on the 1.8 16V which go to the airbox and around the engine to all sorts of places (can't remember where exactly, it's been a few years since I had a 16v...) If ANY of these are damaged it'll run like a sack of poo... :?

Has anyone got a diagram/photo of the little hoses as I know that I'm missing at least one, trouble is even if I bought a replacement I can't see where it should connect to!?

I've found a kind of cotton braided "T" piece that looks suitable but it's been sealed off on the only available end with a screw....

Warped pressure plate in the clutch maybe??? I had something similar in a car where at a junction i'd take my foot off the clutch and press the accelerator and then the car would sorta die for a second or two then power into life!!!

Lamda probe is a definite possibilityas I seem to remember it starting after I had the cat bypass pipe fitted. Also the fuel consumption is shocking and the exaust pipe is coated in black soot. Anyway of checking the lamda probe without buying a new on?

I dont think it's the clutch plate as it happens on idle as well when not driving.

If the consumption is pants then I'd bet money the probe is at fault. Look for broken wires as a starter. Some brain doner just tied the probe on my mk3 16V to a heat shield when fitting a bypass pipe. Imagine my surprise when I got another 10MPG by fitting it in the pipe????

With a digital voltmeter probe the purple/violet wire for dc volts. If you get a steady voltage it's probably donald ducked. Once the engine warms up it should never get a steady reading. The voltage constantly changes and a DVM is unlikely to catch a definate output.

Gavin

Thanx H100VW, by the way are you in Newbury, Berks, as there's a loverly Corrado (VR6 I think) with a number plate very similar to your name & Corrado.Net stickers on it. Often parked to near where I live.