Sign in to follow this  
dav

VR6 - MPG

Old thread here BUT, i'm having just this problem right now and VAG COM is not throwing anything up at all. MPG used to be 31-34 on a good run at 70-85 mph. But this last weekend we did a 400 mile round trip 90% motorway driving and no traffic and the best i got was 27.5 and it just refused to go any higher despite dropping to 60 in places.

Any suggestions?

Yeah the down pipe flexi-hose is a common one... you know when it's gone when you get exhaust/petrol smells first thing in the morning which goes when hot as the joint expands.

£120 from VW is as bad as I thought (mine's gone by the way), but it's still not cheap :(

aah..that might explain why I'm get a very strong fuel smell when starting up in the morning!!

My fuel consumption isnt bad tho 30-32 on a long run and about 28 round town.

Would the split pipe affect the starting when the engine is hot too?

cant this be repaired rather than replaced with cloth tape or exhaust repair stuff?

Yeah the down pipe flexi-hose is a common one... you know when it's gone when you get exhaust/petrol smells first thing in the morning which goes when hot as the joint expands.

£120 from VW is as bad as I thought (mine's gone by the way), but it's still not cheap :(

aah..that might explain why I'm get a very strong fuel smell when starting up in the morning!!

My fuel consumption isnt bad tho 30-32 on a long run and about 28 round town.

Would the split pipe affect the starting when the engine is hot too?

After cleaning my lamba probe with brake cleaner...

i've been getting an average of 32-37mpg on the old motorways, 5th gear 2-3000 revs...

worth a try cleaning before getting an new lamba...

good call antonio_b12, will try that and see what happens. VAG COM doesnt tell me anything at the moment.