Sign in to follow this  
g60_Russ

Temprature Guage... Advice Please?

Help!

Over the past week I kept thinking I caught a red light flash on my dashboard, but when I glanced down everything was normal. I checked my oil & water & both were fine so I just thought I was seeing things.

However Friday I had driven about half a mile down the road and this time I caught the temperature light flashing constantly, as this was happening the temp gauge was rising steadily to the top.

I pulled over in a garage and stopped and the light stopped flashing and the gauge sank down to about 80 degrees.

Again I checked my water and it was ok & not even hot.

Ever since then whenever I pull away this starts happening, even from cold. It seems to be when ever I press down on the accelerator, but as soon as I back off it returns to normal.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,

Russ.

You can check the oil temp on the computer to see if that's getting silly high (120+), if it's not then it's probably just a screwy temp sendor.

Alternatively, it it's the coolant light that is on, then it means low coolant, rather than hot coolant. In that case, it'll just be grimey connectors on the header tank sensors. You can have a crack at cleaning them, or get a whole new tank for about £35 IIRC.

Thanks Dinkus,

The oil temp is fine, its between 80-90, but hasnt gone higher than that.

I hope it is just a temperature sender!

Does anyone know if there any pictures or how-to's of what I should be looking at cleaning (sensor / sender wise)?

Russ.