Sign in to follow this  
Andy D

crankshaft

Hi ya I was diving along the other day and my engine cut out. After getting the car home I found that my crank pulley had come off and sheered the bolt in side the crank. What i wanted to know is the crank on a g60 the same as a normal 8v injection engine or is it reinforces and does anyone have a part number?

It is the same as a std Golf and 16v. If the bolt has snapped off, you can probably get it out with an easiout. With the tension removed they are often pretty slack. Or try drilling two small holes and using some pointed pliers? They sometimes damage the slot for teh woodruf key, I have seen these welded back up with the crank in situ.

I have a crank in my garage, Brand new VW one. I would consider selling it, if you want it let me know.

Gavin

Have you taken the head off yet? When the pulley bolts shears it usually damages a couple of the valves, when mine went last year it bent 2 exhaust valves and it also damaged the groove in the crank so I had to replace that as well. As Gavin says the sheared bolt is usually easy enoungh to get out as it is no longer under tension mine just wound out using my finger! When you put another crank in use a DX engine code bolt from a golf for the pulley it isn't a stretch bolt and is alot stronger than the PG bolt.

yup, I'll echo what both of the above say...

I had mine snap too, took 2 valves with it and that was at just over idle... Don't forget to threadlock the DX bolt if you use one! ;) 8)

Right can someone put up part numbers for the bolt and the washer cos ive been scanning etka and cant find it at alll, ive got a brand new corrado one but with all these horror stories i really want a golf one, cheers guys

they're on here somewhere... do a search for "bolt AND number" and you'll find it... 8)

*edit* It's at the end of the first page HERE

cheers for your help lads. I havent got aound to removing the head yet but i expect there to be some bent valves. Luckly i am a mechanic so i'll be able to do the work myself still its going to be expensive. H100 i've emailed you i am intrested.