Sign in to follow this  
Coley17778

Poor MPG any ideas?????????

95 2.0 16V

GETTING AROUND 20 MPG also idle probs and over run on changing gear are these linked? I have REPLACED:-

TEMP SENSOR :(

ISV :(

THROTTLE BODY CLEAN :(

Thinking of changing Lambada probe any ideas?

Drive slower? ;)

Timing problem?

Could be the lambda (I hope it's not the lambada, cos there's not much room for swinging your partner in the back of a Corrado).

But the idle probs point elsewhere - the lambda isn't used at idle.

if it's overunning your leaking air (&fuel) when throttle is off, i'm not familiar with the KE jetronic but i'd be checking for leaks round your manifold and pipework for starters

no errors on vagcom dosnt overrun all the time fuel consumption main worry dont know which way to turn next.

cheapest fixes to try first as christmas is coming cheers :roll:

check all of the smaller vacuum pipes around the engine... there's a lot of 'em and if one's off, split or missing, then your engine will run like a dog...

check all of the smaller vacuum pipes around the engine... there's a lot of 'em and if one's off, split or missing, then your engine will run like a dog...

ill second that i had a very simular problem.... and it was a tiny vacuum pipe off the airbox

ill second that i had a very simular problem.... and it was a tiny vacuum pipe off the airbox

I know I'm missing at least one vacuum pipe but I've no idea where it's supposed to connect to... Think someone's done a number on my engine as there's a T piece that's been blocked off with a screw etc.

Hi sorry to jump in on this thread but i now have the same prob on my 1.8 16v. I left my car to idle on the drive for about 2 min and when i got in the MFA said 9.1 MPG :shock: , when i took the car out i got about 15.8 MPG after a 10 mile round trip. I had a look under the bonnet and one of the really thin tubes that go from the airbox to the back of the engine somewhere has rubbed through and has a hole in it. Do you think this is the problem.

Fill your car up, drive 100miles or so normally then fill up again and note how many litres you put in. Multiply that number by 0.21996 to get it in gal. Divide the gal by the mileage and hey presto mpg. This will see if you are using abnormal amounts of fuel.

JBOB, yes. That will be causing a problem.

Cheers Its really strange cos when it idles the MPGs go down and if i drive "normal" they go up but the highest ive got it to on the way back from work is 18.1 :(

Do you kniow where i can get a replacement pipe from, if only vw do you have a part number.

Ive just remembered that ive had the clocks out yesterday aswell and there was a small plastic tube going to the back of them, could that have somthing to do with the MFA cos i had to pull it quite tight to get to the screws to disconnect it.