Sign in to follow this  
pellzzr

g60 power potential

What is the most you can look to squeeze out of a g60 lump? got around £2-£2.5 to spend on sourcing a good lump and then the rest on tuning (unless someone wants to sell me their tuned lump) can poss stretch another £1k if worthwhile

Want to keep it supercharged as the engine is for my mid-engined kit therefore need to keep the power delivery linear. Had looked into a vr6 but too heavy as i want to keep the weight to below 800kgs

Cheers guys

You're on the borderline then weightwise? The VR6 isn't much heavier than the G60 I thought. It might be more difficult for you to mount it, given that it's wider at the top than the G60 engine (due to the inlet manifold etc), but I am led to believe it's at most 35kg heavier. (The rest of the car's weight difference is down to the revised box/suspension.)

Well tuned G60 (PG) engines can produce around 250bhp, although much tuning is required to acieve this. :wink:

Other option is to go for a 1.8T conversion. Dubsport built a MK2 Golf with a 1.8T engine producing around 450bhp :shock: cost of this conversion maybe outside your budget though.

i know of some g60 8v's producing 300bhp, althou i imagine the charger would want regular servicing.

u should get a screw charger, no servicing more boost and more air flow, and if you dont like the noise you can get silencer kits.

have a look at bahnbrenner.com

Well tuned G60 (PG) engines can produce around 250bhp, although much tuning is required to acieve this. :wink:

Other option is to go for a 1.8T conversion. Dubsport built a MK2 Golf with a 1.8T engine producing around 450bhp :shock: cost of this conversion maybe outside your budget though.

What figures can you expect from G60 (1H) engine? Would I get more out of the 1H than the PG?

If so, do you know why as I'm unsure of the difference in the two lumps.

cheers

The 1H Rallye engine is an 1763cc lump the PG corrado/golf/passat is 1781. The forced incudtion multiplication factor for international motorsport being the reason for the smaller capacity. The 1H has larger head bolts. I assume to cope with the higher intended output, 300bhp or so for motorsport.

Gavin

Gav, I corrected your typo in the post above so that the 1H's capacity is correct (you'd put 1863cc! :roll: )

The 1H block has a very slightly larger water jacket and slightly larger oil ways. It also uses larger bolts to hold the gearbox on and (as Gav says) has larger headbolts than the PG block (they're the same as Diesel head bolts)

The other major difference on the motorsport Rallye's was the oil cooler was a mocal style one and the supercharger was somewhat more ported than the less tuned units that were issued with the Rallyes (and other G60s) for street use... I have no idea what size pulley they used on the motorsport G60s, but you can bet it was small :lol: Oh, and I'd lay odds on them using a different chip and grey injectors too! ;)

Gavin,

Wow 300 BHP!!!!! Out of a 8V 1.8 lump.

How do you go about getting those kind of performance figures. I have the below spec which I think is around 200BHP+.

Mods:

Gas flowed head

Stage 4 charger (Boost 15psi)

68mm pulley

Custom front mount intercooler with 63mm pipping.

High lift cams

Green SNS chip

4-1 Stainless steel manifold

Custom Exhaust

What do you think is my next step?

Cheers

300bhp for the distance of a rally, then a full rebuild/new engine... ;) Oh, and possibly a new supercharger during the rally if it blows up...

You've got to remember that VW motorsport (and any pro-rally team!) has a HUGE budget and sees things like superchargers/turbos as disposable... if an engine completes a rally, great, scrap it and put a new one in to make sure it lasts the next one... :? A road car is a totally different scenario, so 250bhp (without a capacity increase) is at the top end of the performance/reliability trade off on a G60 engine...

OK, that sounds more like it, I don't do many miles but do want the car to last. :D

Looks like I'll stick with what I have and make it run a little smoother. Need to see what I get from a rolling road day before I do anything else.

Do you know if any are being arranged in the near future near London?

cheers

have a look in the events section... there's one down south in December IIRC.. 8)

If you want more performance, start throwing bits away. It's much cheaper. Seats, interior, stereo etc etc.

Thanks for the correction Henny, 'it was simple mistake any fool could make' :roll:

Gavin

there is an engine there too shipping will be a bit but not break the bank

also means that you could get the work done to the engine then just do a transplant, it will tke alot less time and means that you can still use your car if needed

also got a brand new set of tappets (cost £160) that i would through in for free if anyone takes both of these together

rebore it to 1900cc and balance/lighten the bottom end... ;) 8)

That'll get you some nice extra horses... and take some weight out of your wallet making your car lighter too! ;) :lol:

I have no idea what kinda power you'll get out of it (I've still yet to get mine onto a set of rollers with her running properly) but you can easily get a lot more with a decent capacity increase... 8)

Don't overbore to more than 83mm though else your walls will be too thin to take the pressures reliably...

Both G-werks and JMR do 1900 conversions, with Darren's being 1870ish cc (can't remember exactly what) and Johns being 1940 (which is what my engine is)

Both use quality components and will give you a nice engine at the end... John's also uses a different crank with the G60 rods to get the extra CCs where Darren's uses the standard crank and rods... 8)

I've not driven one of Darren's yet, but I know it should be good... I can state that mine's a little beastie and there's a fair few people here that have seen and experianced that in the flesh! :mrgreen: :twisted:

Cost wise? you need to phone 'em up and ask... 8)

Oh, and a toothed belt conversion and an external oil cooler should be on your list too :wink: 8)