Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Optimax fuel economy?

There have been quite a few MPG thread on the forum recently- I have been feeling quite smug cos mine is showing some great MPG figures so I have been congratulating myself on how good my car must be :wink:

I always use optimax, but decided to use shell 95 to save some beans. I filled up on a motorway and had a good fifty minute fast drive after so the engine should have set itself up for the new octane just fine; and bugger me if the fuel economy wasn't approx 4mpg less, both in town and on the motorway :? The engine didn't feel down on power or misfire with the 95 so I have to imagine the knock sensors etc are OK.

Filled back up with optimax today- everythings back like it should be ie 34-35 on the motorway. Might be worth trying optimax if anyone is suffering from poor mpg on 95 ron :D

Cheers

Yep, I got more MPG from Optimax than normal but with the price being higher it worked out about the same, also the engine was smoother and idled better - I've now got the timing set to around 7degrees BTDC so Optimax/Ultimate all the time now anyways...