Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

Bonnet Lifting Strut Fitting Guide anyone?????????????

I bought a bonnet lifting strut from Utterly Veeduburly at the weekend however there is a distinct lack of distructions, if anyone has a guide could you let me know

I've done a search on here but couldn't find anything!

Could you possibly either scan or photocopy it and send it to me either by post or email?

My brothers Girlfriend is german and speaks and reads fluently!

Thanks

PS Does it have pics??

PPS - -I think mine may be missing a few parts could you take a pic of all of your bits?????

Again Thanks

Adding Gas Lift Struts to the Bonnet

This job is very easy and anyone can do it. Makes the engine bay a lot nicer place to work

Difficulty:

Required Tools: 10mm open ended spanner

Time Required: 20 mins

Supplier: Performance Solutions , tel 01604 232003

Pop the bonnet and tighten the bottom two alignment bolts on the hinges

Remove the top two bolts on the hinges (that's why we tightened the bottom ones, so the setting cant change)

Screw into these holes the two strut ends that have the threaded bolt (not the self taping end), tighten with the spanner. Don't forget to use a washer

Undo the middle of the three wing retaining screws (level with the coolant reservoir)

Screw the two self tapping end into these holes again using a washer (watch out for wires underneath)

Screw the thin end of the gas strut into the top fitting

Screw the bottom end of the gas strut into the bottom fitting (lift the bonnet higher to do this) making sure the top is held and doesn't unscrew

Give em a good coat of wax or WD-40 as the alloy can rust easily

Stand back and admire

MIGHT BE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT FOR THE RADO

got it here (about 1/2 way down )

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/HowD ... t%20Struts

there is one pic but it doesnt make much sense. Ill bring the page into work tomorrow and scan it on the condition you tell me what it says so I can tell the buyer lol :)

These are the parts that came with mine - however there seems to be nothing for the strut to fix onto!

Can you look see if I'm missing anything?

that looks like the kit I had with the lifter I bought from Inters'03...

Is it an INXX kit? The black metal stip goes inside the bracing struts on the bonnet, then the silver bit bots to that. The bottom of hte lifter should have a threaded ball type affair on it which then attached (with a nut and 2 of the large washers) the the hole just to the left of where the original bonnet support attaches to the slam panel... 8)

This is all from memory, as I never fitted mine 'cos my Corrado had the later bonnet and so it wouldn't fit properly... :roll:

are there any problems with using these ? can they damage or twist the bonnet ??

might get one if they are ok though

does anyone make a dual sided kit as i dont like the idea of just supporting one side ?

gibber_2k, is yours the single strut lifter which basically replaces the original bonnet stay? If it is, then yes, you have! :lol:

(my memory is a bit crap at the moment, sorry :oops: )

coolrado, the original stay hold the bonnet on one side only, so what's the difference?

You can use MKIII golf twin lifters if you want (£20 from Euro or GSF) but you need to drill and tap 2 holes into the side of the bonnet to fit 'em...

This is a single strut lift!

I seem to have no bolts with round bit on the end for the strut lift to fix onto? I presume I should have?????

coolrado, the original stay hold the bonnet on one side only, so what's the difference?

You can use MKIII golf twin lifters if you want (£20 from Euro or GSF) but you need to drill and tap 2 holes into the side of the bonnet to fit 'em...

:oops: yeah i suppose so, dont like the idea of drilling into the bonnet though so i will go for a single sided one, under the bonnet is the only clean and shiney bit of the car at the moment so i might as well make the most of it :lol:

Blue_Joe, I know yours is a single strut, I edited my post as you were posting your reply, as I realised it could have caused confusion... sorry...

Show us a pic of the actual strut, as well as the fitting kit... 8) (need to see both ends ;) )

I've got a single INXX fitted to mine, theres pics on this old thread http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9266&highlight=lifter

really fiddly to fit, and be VERY careful drilling the holes in the bonnet, i've got a little dimple in mine now where i was a bit....enthusiastic :(

You can get a par of lifters that go either side of the engine bay, IIRC they're intended for a mk2 golf but fit the C, chrisVR6NOS had some fitted to his.

I've got a single INXX fitted to mine, theres pics on this old thread http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9266&highlight=lifter

really fiddly to fit, and be VERY careful drilling the holes in the bonnet, i've got a little dimple in mine now where i was a bit....enthusiastic :(

You can get a par of lifters that go either side of the engine bay, IIRC they're intended for a mk2 golf but fit the C, chrisVR6NOS had some fitted to his.

so do you have to drill the bonnet whichever ones you use then ?

I 'think' the lifters that go either side will fit into the holes that are already there, TBH thats a half remembered fact from a long lost post, so dont take it as gospel!

chrishill, nope, they're MKIII lifters and you DO need to drill some holes to fit 'em (trust me on this one, that's why J-DUB had the wing mounts in, but not the actual lifters 'cos I was too scared to actually drill the holes! :oops: )