Sign in to follow this  
Dave_Corrado16v

G60 - cost to replace Supercharger?

Hi All,

Firstly, i've not been on here since I sold my 16v around last June, but I may well be back here regularly soon! The reason being that Ive just been offered a Corrado G60 with a blown SC (apparently the bearing got a bit rattley and then *bang*) and dented rear quarter where someone shunted it (new rear quarter supplied) for £300. Im going to go and have a look at it as im a big Corrado fan.

I have a few questions:

How easy and expensive is it to replace the supercharger?

Where can I get a s/h supercharger from? Is it worth trying eBay?

Is it safe to start the engine to see how it runs before buying it?

Is anything else likely to be trashed by the Supercharger going bang?

It is apparently in good working order other than the obvious as it has 11 months MOT and 3 months tax on it.

Thanks guys,

Dave

Speak to Darren down at G-Werks! It is possible that, depending on how the charger popped, there are fragments of metal in the intercooler and in the engine. So give him a call or a PM and he can discuss everything with you need to check out, as well as supply you with pricing for a new or refurbed charger. New chargers aren't cheap though....

Thanks Jim, ill give him a call.

The other option is stripping it for parts and selling them on eBay - im sure I could make a few quid, but i'd rather not sent such a beautiful car to the scrapper!

Contact Daz at G-werks

He's on the forum as g-man. His web site is here

http://www.g-werks.com/

a new one is going to cost about a grand, a recon/refurb about £800.

As for starting the engine - has the supercharger belt been 'taken out of the loop'? i.e the 'fan belt' doesn't go round the supercharger pulley? If so you SHOULD be alright. It will just act as an 8 valve GTI type engine approx 115 BHP. You will probably need to clean out the intercooler when you replace the charger.

Touch base with Daz first, very helpful and the 'font of supercharger' knowledge

Be wary of buying one from ebay. Could easily be shagged. Speak to Darren. AT the money you have paid it's worth doing the job right. Cutting corners rarely works in my experience.

Gavin

Definately worth getting even for £300 regardless of charger condition. You can bypass the charger and just run it without for a while till you can afford a replacement - it will be seriously slow but it gets you back in a Rado for not a lot of money ;)

Hehehe, it would be nice. Not really bothered about the speed of the thing.....................well, maybe I am ;)

I sold the Corrado to buy an MR2, then got bored with cars and bought a scrapper, and a 600cc motorbike - sadly some blind bint in a car ran me over on the bike and wrote it off, so its back to cars for a while! LOL

Would it damage the engine running it without the charger?

one is going to cost about a grand, a recon/refurb about £800.

As for starting the engine - has the supercharger belt been 'taken out of the loop'? i.e the 'fan belt' doesn't go round the supercharger pulley? If so you SHOULD be alright. It will just act as an 8 valve GTI type engine approx 115 BHP. You will probably need to clean out the intercooler when you replace the charger.

Do not start the car! If there are pieces of charger inside the engine you could do more damage costing you more money. It's just not worth the risk.

Also it won't act like an 8v gti as it will have low compression pistons. The car would be as flat as f*ck.

As said above, chat to Darren.

LOL running a g60 with charger bypass is like driving a ford fester 1.1 with a misfire :D ( I should know I had to drive my G 40 miles with no boost :roll:

If you take the intercooler pipe off the throttle bodie end and run a shorter belt it shouldn't be a problem as the intercooler will pick up any of the larger fragnments from a detonating charger. A method of cleaning ou the cylinders if there are any signs of metal fragments after the intercooler is to take all of the spark plugs out of the head disconnect the HT king lead at the coil end and flush petrol down each cylinder and creank the engine over a few times ( best to get a rag over each cylinder to see whats actually coming out of the cylinders) when it's all clear fire her up!!

For £300 it's a bargain go for it!! 8)

Thanks mate. Im hoping to go and have a look at it over the next few days. Only thing is, I dont have £800 for a new charger, so worried id buy the car and it would just be left to rust as I try to save up the readies! lol

Darren do you do cheque spread then??

Dave C, open up a 0% credit card to get the money. You have 6 months to pay for it then with no interest. Easy.

Gavin