Sign in to follow this  
Rhodri

Will they fit ?

I am considering getting a set of 18x10 BBS LM wheels. I am looking to lower the car 40mm will these wheels fit or will i need to mod the arches?

18 x 10's?????????................you mad???? :twisted: ...........can't see them fitting without arch mods and IIRC BBS LM's are only available in 5-stud fitments

In my very humble opinion.....

18's look too big - make it look a bit of a noddy car. Maybe with some arch rolling they might not look as bad.

10" wide also sounds like you're asking for all sorts of rubbing issues plus they'll look a bit too wide.

I'm trying to say that they're unlikely to bolt straight on and even when they do fit, I think they'll look too big.

I'll go one further than Tom and Roddy...

They WON'T fit, and will look silly without some serious body work and probably body kit work too.... :?

They will also totally kill the performance of a Corrado, especially if it's not one of the higher powered ones like the G60 or VR6, and will make it handle like a bag of $#!+£..... :|

It's do-able, but so is shoving an american V8 engine in and turning the car into a Dragster... :roll:

I'll go one further than Tom and Roddy...

I'll join you...

They WON'T fit, and will look silly without some serious body work and probably body kit work too.... :?

In my opinion 9" wide looks stupid...sticking out past the arches and buffing everywhere...never mind even considering a 10" width...

As you say, the performance will be nill, the handling destroyed...all round, a really daft idea.

In my opinion 9" wide looks stupid...sticking out past the arches and buffing everywhere...never mind even considering a 10" width...

As you say, the performance will be nill, the handling destroyed...all round, a really daft idea.

I agree with the 10" wide and 18" would be way too big for a C. 9x16" is the way forward for looks, but for handling I'm sure they wouldn't be as good as 7.5"x16". (someone tell me I'm wrong, cos I want to put 9x16" on mine! 8) )

Depends what you want really....a Corrado with stupidly big wheels, that wont look particularly nice and will create all sorts of rubbing issues :( , or a Corrado that looks wide, but handles as well as it should! :D

Forget the fitment issues.....have you any idea how much LMs cost Rhodri? You're looking at over £2000 just for the wheels from BBS... maybe a little cheaper from a low volume 3rd party.

As for sizes in general. Imo 8s are the practical limit for a Corrado if you want to retain some form of drivability over poor surfaces, and even they're borderline, but with some careful geometry tweaking you can lessen the effect of the issues brought about by big wheels.

The key things when upsizing rims are keeping the offset as deep as possible and keeping the extra unsprung weight to a minimum. The recognised brands tend to be very light, especially BBS and if you choose a good tyre, you won't suffer any undue harshness.

I would buy 8x17 BBS LM's if I were you, but then as mentioned above they only come in 5 stud, so don't forget to figure into the equation changing your hubs to 5 stud, or buying adaptors.

Probs, your a nasty bunch! :lol:

You could of just answered his question and said no.

Mod the arches, more of mod the car! :mrgreen:

if they had of just said no, the next question would have been "why not" and they would have to give the reasons anyway :wink:

17" LMs are almost impossible to get hold of new because only the Japanes market got them.....IIRC...

Thats a pity, they one of my fave wheels, bet they would look great on a slightly lowered C.

When I went to VW Mania in Belgium there was a group of Corrado's in the campsite (at the end of the running track), and one of them was decked out in 17" LM's. He was German and his English wasn't too hot and my German is non-existant but he definately got hold of them from Germany and seemed to suggest that they were attainable but only in 8x17 or 8.5x17.

There was also a black Mk3 at Edition 38 with 17"s.

Thinking the samething myself.

Rhodri,

First of all it anything can be done if you really want too and you realise that you going to have to part with the thickend of £5K in wheels, body and suspension to do it (£230 budget kits won't cut the mustard). As for those who call you stupid, i won't be holding my breath for them to build something special and prove their point.

As for sizes in general. Imo 8s are the practical limit for a Corrado if you want to retain some form of drivability over poor surfaces, and even they're borderline, but with some careful geometry tweaking you can lessen the effect of the issues brought about by big wheels.

Ride height effects the drivability more than wheel width. Mine was surprisingly smooth on 9.5" and 35series walls until i dropped it another 40mm. Better than on 205/40's toyos. Then again my current pirelli's are probably a much better tyre.

Good point....I forgot to mention suspension travel is also important. At the end of the day, ride quality and wheels are subjective and one man's lovely slammed and huge wheeled ride is another man's daily usable nightmare - and that isn't a pop at you. You've built a lovely show car and fair play to you but I couldn't use my car with your configuration on my daily route. It would get nicked for one thing and my roads don't allow that sort of stance without chewing the arches out unfortunately.

As for being nasty, I don't think it was intentional but 10x18s on a car that left the factory optimised to 15s is a little OTT, imo.