Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Brakes

The brakes on my Polo are utter crap!!!

Firstly there's a lot of travel in the pedal before anything substantial happens but as it reaches the end of its travel, they come in strong. This only happens if you depress the brake pedal slowly!

If you're travelling along and stamp on the brakes they work quite well. Alot less travel and come in strong quickly!

I've bleed the fronts (cant bleed the drums at the back cos I snapped one bleed screw off and the other is seized! :roll: ), also change the front pads.

I'm guessing there must still be air in the system.

Oh, I've checked the operation of the brake servo (according to haynes) and its fine.

Anyone got any suggestions? air in the rear part of the system?

cheers

T.

how old is the polo? I know the older ones didn't have a servo, so their brakes were utter pants... :|

The rest of the polos suffer from small brake syndrome... they're crap when new, and just get worse with age! :| :crazyeyes:

Decent disks and pads will help, change the rear cylinders (about £6 each including new nipples IIRC! :lol: ) and see if that makes much difference... 8)

Just found what you mean. Cheers Henny. I'll need to get them ordered when I get a chance. Bet they're a pig to change!?

Good old russian site saves the day again, why VW cant do that in this country is anyones guess!

http://www.elcats.ru

T.

I nearly killed myself in one of those a few years ago - it was an F reg & the brakes were a total waste of time.

That would have had a servo, my mate had an old Y reg - that really was terrifying, he used the engine to brake more than the brakes themselves...

I have always thought anyone driving a G40 must be pretty special, considering the poor brakes. Having done 130 thru Warrington in Jabbsports Polo. I decided never to go in one again. :shock:

Maybe you can get a mk1 Golf servo in there with a 16V MK2 master cylinder?

Gavin

Replaced the rear cylinders and the brakes are now brilliant so I'm well chuffed and no have full confidence in going around at a half decent speed now. There was alot of air in the system in the rear pipes so needless to say the brake pedal no longer hits the floor before anything happens.

Thanks for all the help.....again! :mrgreen:

T.

I changed my girlfriends Polo front brakes to some from GPC. The disks were changed to Brembo's and much better pads. It made so much difference to the breaking. Much more solid!!!