Sign in to follow this  
thorpey

airbox full of oil

You need to take your breather hose's off mate , and try to clean them out !

Engine flush is only for cleaning the internal's of yeh motor(or inbetween oil change's, to elimate swarf) , this sound's like a breathing problem ?? :roll:

One of a few possable's : blocked hose , as g-man say's ?

worn ring's ? (Hope not) :(

Hope this help's :?

thanks for that i will sort that out asap

any problems i would give JMR a call as he is very active on 16v work...he will be able to help you sort it with the least fuss.

well i have rung jmr more times than i care to mention and he never picks up the phone shouldnt be the rings only done 8000 miles on this engine

Mine is the same and this weekend the head gasket blew (probably unconnected, my fault for running it dry). Anyway, I've checked my breather hoses and none are blocked so let me know if you figure it out!

HEY ITS SORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! firstly it had wrong grade of oil (castrol gtx!) should always use fully synthetic

THE OIL FILTER WAS BLOCKED! did a full engine flush and new filter and fully synthetic oil all from vw dealer and the engine purrs beautifully,feels really responsive again and its like a new car again,thanks for your help guys......i expect you are wondering who put the gtx in? well not me but a friend who was out of work needed a few pennies so i thought i would get him to do it,thought he bought synthetic oil and a vw filter but he skimped on parts by buying it all from a cheap supplier ............f***er

if it were the rings surely there would be some smoke?

Not necessarily. 16Vs breath a bit as they get old and the blow-by gases cause excess oil to gather in the collector box on the block which is then sucked into the airbox.

It's a bad bit of design. A breather outlet in the cylinder webbing (between 2 and 3) is not ideal.

Another thing that happens on valvers is the breather tube gets squishy with age and crimps under hard acceleration, which literally pulls loads of oil out of the block.

I used to get round that by wrapping some stainless mesh over the breather outlet (oil condenses on that and falls back into the collector) and also by replacing the breather hose which was toughened post 1992. Make sure the copper guaze is in the hose too.

thorpey, Fully synthetic oil is not necessary or even better that the semi synth that's supposed to be in there.. :wink:

Oil filter should be either genuine VW, Mann or Knecht (both make or have made them as OE suppliers). Oil should be either 10w40 or 15w40 - preferably Synta Silver semi synth.

yeah stevey u are right synta semi synthetic forgot to put that down and it is the synta stuff in a silver container from vw