Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

VR6 top mount question

Had some vr6 top mounts fitted to my car the other day, andf im not sure if they've been fitted right

Is the cone shaped plate thingy under the bonnet suppose to rotate when you turn the wheel?, my old early type ones did, but these dont, is this normal?

Still having problems, when i tighten the nut shown in the picture down, the piston stays still and doesent rotate with the rest of the strut when i turn the wheel

Are there any parts missing?, obviously the the stop and locking nut are still to go on

The piston is definately suppose to rotate with rest of the strut is'nt it?

The nut shown looks too big to me - the nut's on my struts are much narrower & clamp onto the bearing only. There's a seperate plate which then attatches over the top to stop the strut assy from falling out of the mount when the car is jacked up.

I have VR top mounts BTW........ :roll:

The nut shown looks too big to me - the nut's on my struts are much narrower & clamp onto the bearing only. There's a seperate plate which then attatches over the top to stop the strut assy from falling out of the mount when the car is jacked up.

I have VR top mounts BTW........ :roll:

These are vr6 top mounts, the nut does look big in the picture, it does clamp down on to the bearing only then the top plate is attached then the locking nut, i dont think im doing anything wrong here, maybe the pistons are supposed to stay still when you turn the wheel, could anyone check if the top plate connected to the top of the piston under the bonet does atually rotate when you turn the wheel, maybe its not suppose to

The whole idea of having a bearing in the top mount is because it's supposed to turn.........................

I constructed mine off the vehicle - including clamping the bearing to the top of the strut. The clamp nuts on the top of my struts are more narrow than the one shown in the picture. The strut assy & bearing are not attached to the top mount by anything other than gravity. There is a large'ish plate which then attaches to the top of the strut to stop the leg assy falling out of the mounting when the car is jacked up - for example, when changing a wheel.