Sign in to follow this  
20v turbo

radio wireing

right just wired a new head unit in to the wifes golf and i've got a slight problem in that when you put the key to the second position i have 12volt but when you start the car i dont,now i know this is supposed to happen but it doesnt come back,i've got the perminent live constantly but not the live with ignition :?

Try swapping the red/yellow leads.... or check the manual, you may need to connect them together...

seconded. swap the red and yellow leads over.

manual? that book that comes with stuff? wondered what was in them things . . . .

manual? that book that comes with stuff? wondered what was in them things . . . .

There just for amatuers of course, I would never consider reading one....

Unlikely but could be a faulty ignition switch?

when i put the ignition to position 2 there's 12n volts assoon as i put it to position 3 were the dash lights come on there's nothing,when i start to crank the car there is 12 volt's but once it's started nothing again.the head unit is a kenwood mask one so it looks like i'll have to run another ignition feed or it wont fold back up when you switch the ignition off and the wife cant be trusted to turn it off every time if i put both the red and yellow wires to the perm live.

what colour wire are you using from the car?

if it is a faulty ignition switch it would probably be worth changing it as you may start developing starting difficulties as well

right think i've sorted it ,think its a dogy ignition switch because once the car has started and i hold the key foward like i'm trying to start it again i have 12volts but when i let go nothing,the key only move a tiny bit to get it to work so i think this could be my problem.

i'm useing red/brown live with ignition

red/white perm live

cheers for the help 8)