Sign in to follow this  
samm_cvr6

IN GEAR TIMES ACTUALLY ANY QUICKER ON A DIESEL????

Just reading thru Autocar and looking at car of the year specs. I know they are not as quick generally speaking but had heard about cracking in gear acceleration that is better than petrol hot hatches although on a much narrower power band.

Mondeo ST TDCI-

30-70=8.3

30-50 in 4th=4.9

50-70 in top=9.5

Clio Cup-

30-70= 5.8

30-50 in 4th= 5.5

50-70 in top=8.0

So the Clio is much quicker than the Mondeo 30-70 and the Mondeo is slightly quicker 30-50? I assume this is due to the extra gear changes required in the diesel?

And 50-70 in top the Clio is also a fair bit quicker.

Am I missing something here or are these Diesels acceleration often exaggerated as it feels very quick for about 1.5 seconds but then you have to change gear and the petrols often deceptive (ie Corrado VR6) as they have a less peaky power delivery and hold the acceleration for a much wider power band- allowing less gear changes and hence quicker progress.

The diesels feel quick as you dont have to drop gear as often. Its pretty irrelevant though if your really going for it.

For example, if you were wanting to get from 30-50 in the clio as quick as possible it would be done in 2nd, but in the mondeo you would need to be in third, compare the times in them gears and you should see how much quicker the clio is.

Ive driven one of these TDCI Mondeos they are crazy machines but have a very narrow rev band like all diesel motors

I wonder if they do an automatic !

anyway torquey =Yes and 55 mpg ffs !

i've heard very good reviews of the DSG box on the 2.0 TDI, the fact that it weighs almost 1.5 tonnes is not helping matters tho :roll: