Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

How easy is it to change the cambelt tensioner

Have a strange knocking sound coming from the water pump cambelt area. Like a clicking sound, almost like a tappet (but its not)

Took the cambelt cover off and it looked a little rusty around the tensioner. Its moving freely but i think its on it way, the belt looks fine (done 20000 ago)

Can i change the tensioner without changing the cambelt? Is it just the removal on the (15mm, i think) nut. Slide off, new one on, tension up and tighten nut

How long will it take.

Beavijem

i would recomend you lock / mark everthing though to make sure it dosent slip,and you could hold the tension on the belt to stop it moving around on the bottom pulleys.

should take around 10 mins max. remember you need correct tension for cam belt too.

tools needed :

1, 15mm spanner

2, tensioning tool (can use circlip pliers if nothing else)

3, tie wrap to hold tension on belt if you dont have locking tool.

4, cup of tea. :lol:

Er, correction Darren. That should be min 3 cups - one whilst first peering at it, one when the tensioning tool won't tension, then one when you slam the bonnet and stomp off :lol:

cheers guys will have a go on monday

What do i need to lock

Just have the cambelt tight so it doesn;t move a tooth while i am taking the tensioner off

You'll probably have difficulty locking stuff to be honest. Set the cam timing to TDC on no. 1 and mark all your pulleys. Remove the dizzy cap and check the arm is pointing to no.1 plug lead. To be honest you just as well change the belt again since you are in there. I think its only about 8 quid. When tensioning the belt, you should be able to turn the belt 90 degrees with your thumb and fore finger on the longest run (nearest the front of the car, between cam sprocket and dizzy shaft sprocket) You will probably be able to move the belt in an up and down direction about a 1cm or so. It always feels a liitle too slack but that is how they are meant to run. It is by no means tensioned tightly! Hope this helps. Anymore questions just shout.

To be honest you just as well change the belt again since you are in there. I think its only about 8 quid.

Good call - the resistance caused by the worn tensioner will cause the belt to heat up and wear quicker, I know this because my belt had been changed about 20k before I bought the car but the tensioner hadn't (f$%kwits!) by the time i'd noticed the tensioner was shot to pieces, the belt looked like it had done 80k's! - Kevhaywire posted a pic of the tensioner somewhere on here....

I would like to change the belt but it looks a bit scary, i don;t like timing and doing things that can mess your engine up.

Might get some quotes for both.

Yeah i think i know of the pic your on about, its of the cambelt but there is lots of swarf and rust, mine looks similar but not as bad.

I did my belt and tensioner not so long ago. if your changing the tensioner then the belt will be off anyway. just make sure nothing moves!

hsa anyone experienced difficulty in getting the cover back on, ie. lining up the middle bolt?

A VW main dealer mechanic once told me that they replace the tensioner with the cambelt now as a matter of course as they're so poor. It came after a number of premature cam-belt wear/snapping claims following changes of the cambelt with the original tensioner. I don't know if it's true but it makes sense.