Sign in to follow this  
willwoll100

Gearbox case seperation???

I've just dropped my gearbox out of my 1994 VR6 Corrado and was wondering how are you supposed to be able to seperate the case??? I've removed all visible bolts but it only comes apart about 5mm :?:

Are you supposed to engage a certain gear or something?

Cheers again

Will

Yep, but I think Vince is taking a long break till new year as I've had no joy trying to get him this week :(

Yeah I'd already removed the selector tower but theres still something holding it off!!!

On another note does anyone know of where the best place is to go to get my gearbox reconned???

I'm in the North East but am willing to travel.

Will

On another note does anyone know of where the best place is to go to get my gearbox reconned???

I'm in the North East but am willing to travel.

Speak to Vince Saiya at Stealth Racing, used to work for Gemini so knows VW gearboxes inside out!

I spoke to Vince and he was very helpfull, unfortunately my gearbox is completely knackered and its £550 for another one :evil:

I'm not a happy bunny at the moment.

I spoke to Vince and he was very helpfull, unfortunately my gearbox is completely knackered and its £550 for another one :evil:

I'm not a happy bunny at the moment.

Don't think you'll get much re-conned on yours for under 500 quid, I just had one synchro done on my 16v box and that was 180 quid 5 years ago, the individual bits from VW are just so expensive and labour will not be cheap either.

It might be best to look for a 'good' second hand unit rather than the hassle and cost of fixing yours.

David.

Yeah thats what I meant I've found one for £550 it just hurts to think that I have to pull out all that money but its gotta be done. After all this I'm getting rid of it as I've had enough!!!

Will

Why don't you look for a gearbox been sold from a G60 thats being broken for spares? Gearbox's always seem to come up on here for £50...

Do the G60's have the same O2A gearbox?

it's 02A but not the same, bell housing is diff I think to fit to vr6 block

yup, VR6 gearbox is VR6 fitment only due to the bell housing shape.

I got hold of one for around £200 to butcher for bits for my G60/VR6 hybrid gearbox, so they are out there, it's just a question of finding one...

Try http://www.vr6golf.co.uk and see if anyone there's got one for sale... ;) 8)

Its a shame that my bell housing has got a largish hole in it, I suppose I could repair it. So basically the internals are the same then?

G60 internals = VR6 internals

P.S. You've got the same Momo M1's as me on my purple VR6 :wink:

nope, G60s have different gear ratios... AFAIK they are interchangeable, so you could put G60 internals into a VR housing, but your ratios would be crap... that's why I put VR6 1st and 2nd gears into my G60 box so that I could have a decent 2nd gear which will do slightly over 60 instead of slightly under 40! ;)

p.s. what momos? They're Borbet Cs on the blue one and Masitaly ones on the grey one...

from those photos, yup, I can see where you got that idea from... 8)

p.s. nice looking car you have there... 8)