Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

Fixing my heated seat element - stuck!

was browsing the howto on the subject and need some clarification at this point:

http://the-corrado.net/how-to/img_full. ... age3_large

in the region labelled "open circuit" there are two wires which come from the back of the seat up to a little circular metal piece. one of these wires was loose but in the process of removing the material now both are loose.

so i have:

2 unconnected wires coming from the back of the seat

a little circular picece with nothing connected to it

the main heater element (the bit marked "all ok"

now instinct tells me the two wires from the back join to the circular piece but is that it? does this attach to the main looped element?

help appreciated.

cheers

-pablo

Yep your right. The circular metal piece is the temperature sensitive resistor that allows you to set the temperature for the seat. Just be careful with your soldering- The resistor is so small that its easy to bridge the terminals.

Its a separate circuit to the heater element like you say.

Mike

Yes it does- My resistor came wrapped in a bit of foam, so I used two small circular fabric plasters and used them to sandwich the resistor between (a nice trick actually). I think this stops the resistor from reacting too quickly to the heat from the element.

Cheers

sorted :)

not only had the wire came loose from the resistor but the wire was actually stretched so the metal was broken inside giving an intermittent connection.

all sorted now tho :D

thanks for all the help :)

I am having difficulties with my Corrado drivers backrest heating element. I tested for continuity between pins 1, 2 and 3, 4 (backrest and seat elements respectively) . The seat element seems to be fine but the backrest didn't have continuity suggesting either a bad wire or a bad temperature sensor. I could short 3, 4 together and at least get the seat warm but is there a procedure to fix this? I live in a cold climate and my passenger gets heated seats but not the driver.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks I did see that. I wonder if the procedure is similar for the backrest. I am not sure how to get at the backrest element without ruining the seat or the leather. It is not something I want to experiment on not really knowing what I am doing. Anyone tried this yet?

Thanks,

Paul

a_riot, if you pull the leather on the backrest you will see the element underneath, it looks as though you have to remove a a metal rod at the bottom of the back of the seat to release the backrest leather

my drivers seat stopped working :-(

checked

the relays

getting voltage at the seat when turned on , although the voltage drops when i go up on the heat adjuster ?

continuity checks out ok

doesnt heat on the seat or backrest

any ideas ?? i'm at a loss now

ta

paul

You are getting continuity on both pins 1-2 and 3-4? Each pair has to have continuity as they are wired together unfortunately. If you have continuity, relays work and power is there, then the only thing I can think of is if the temp regulator in the seat isn't working.

One thing I thought was odd when I was testing, was that when I was testing the voltages, I got 8.0V at the 5 setting and 8.8V at the 1 setting, which I thought would be the reverse, higher voltage for more heat, lower voltage for less...unless of course I was being stupid when testing which is always a possibility.

Paul

yep continuity is good on 1-2 and 3-4 , i got 9.75v on setting 5 and 11.5 on setting 1 ?? i thought the same as you higher voltage should be higher setting

the temp regulator is a resistor i take it , whereabouts does this sit

cheers

paul (oddlyenough) :-)

By the sounds of it yours should work. I was staring at the wiring diagram all weekend and if you are getting voltage to the element and your element works, then I can't see any reason why your seat isn't getting hot. Have you had the nerves in your buttocks checked recently :)

Paul

a_riot, if you pull the leather on the backrest you will see the element underneath, it looks as though you have to remove a a metal rod at the bottom of the back of the seat to release the backrest leather

Any tricks on how to do this? I am not much of an upholsterer.

Paul

a_riot, alright buddy, i've seen you on corrado .ca ;-)

i took the seats out and had decided to trace the thermo resistor but then i decided to try the drivers seat in the passenger side ...and guess what , it worked , so i swopped the relays around and now the drivers side is working

so the fault is the relay ! it does click when its turned on, so i'm going to take it out and test it to see if there is a chance of repair ,if not i'll try and source a replacement

cheers

paul

yep continuity is good on 1-2 and 3-4 , i got 9.75v on setting 5 and 11.5 on setting 1 ?? i thought the same as you higher voltage should be higher setting

This is because the resistance of the circuit is is higher at cooler temperatures. It's all to do with Ohms Law.

ok i've cleaned inside the relay , contacts etc and it still clicks etc so its probably something thats on board there are few resistors which checked ok and a chip

anyhow the part no is 161 919 533 and ekta says its £35 !

just goes to show that just because the relay clicks doesnt necessarily mean all is ok :-(

I fixed my driver's side heated seat this afternoon. My problem was a broken wire in the seatback part not the seat like in the wiki. Here is a link to how I did it. It was much easier than I had anticipated.

Heated seatback repair

Can the heated seat elements be retro fitted to standard leather seats?

Cheers

Dusty