Sign in to follow this  
GIXXERUK

CAT BYPASS

is it worth it ? what gains do you see, can the ecu cope without modification ? whats a reasonable price for a bypass pipe ?

cheers

A magnex cat bypass is about £90. I don't think a cat bypass does all that much though as the corrado already has a high flow cat. The ecu copes fine but the only reason for having one would be to prolong the life of the cat which are v. expensive but they don't really give any significant power gains.

I fitted one to my Golf and I could notice a slight difference. It also made the car a bit louder, which I liked but others may not. I got mine from Raceland for a very reasonable price (less than £40 trade) They don't list it for a G60 but its the same as there Golf 2 16V one. Quality and fit were both very good.

On normally aspirated engines, CAT bypass pipes are a complete waste of time. They reduce the necessary exhaust back-pressure that normally aspirated engines need to run properly.

Only force inducted (turbo/supercharger) cars benefit from this mod. Even then, only when the is set up correctly. My advice would be to spend your money on someting else instead. :wink:

On normally aspirated engines, CAT bypass pipes are a complete waste of time. They reduce the necessary exhaust back-pressure that normally aspirated engines need to run properly.

Only force inducted (turbo/supercharger) cars benefit from this mod. Even then, only when the is set up correctly. My advice would be to spend your money on someting else instead. :wink:

Is'nt that the point of fitting a performance exhaust to reduce the back pressure :roll:

Is'nt that the point of fitting a performance exhaust to reduce the back pressure :roll:

Yup, but it only improves performance noticably when you have forced induction.

A normally aspirated engine needs the back pressure from the exhaust to get the correct compression in the cylinder. If you reduce the back pressure, then you actually lose a bit of torque.

If you have forced induction then you are putting more air into the cylinder, thus need to get rid of it quicker, so a performance exhaust aids performance.

However, if you just want something to sound faster... :D

works well on my VR.

£40 fitted from powerflow

I'm surprised that powerflow actually sell these as it was them that told me not to put one on my VR6 as it reduces the back pressure???

powerflow will make you anything you want as long as you pay for it ;)

its just a piece of pipe at the end of the day. nothing fancy.