Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

engine swap. how easy???

my mate has just written off his 94 vr6 auto. its all body damage and it runs fine. however, my manual vr6 has just breached 100k and his auto engine has done 68k. i'm interested in knowing how easy the swap woulod be to get the lower mile engine in my car using my manual gearbox. will the ecu's need swapping too and how will this effect the change to a manual gearbox. what else would need changing. my car is the same year nad both engines have the coil pack rather than the dizzy. would it actually be worth it for the less miles?? how much would it cost if i had it done at a garage (roughly)

thanks, matt

Hard to say wether it would be worth it, 30k miles is the difference but say you changed the oil on yours every 3k miles and always warmed it up first before thrashing it and his is just dealer serviced every 10k and driven hard all the time then it could be in a worse condition!

I suppose being an auto it shouldn't have really been thrashed but as your swapping the transmission over anyway then I'd say it would be worthwhile doing the chains and tensioners with a new clutch and maybe lightened flywheel before you stick it in your car - I can imagine this will be a much easier job with the engine on a stand!

The engines should be the same, just the auto box has its own ECU, a guy on here, Storm has converted an auto to a manual and he's got a list of all the extra parts needed which if there are any like sensors etc then you'll just use your existing ones...

I'd agree with Supercharged, there's probably very little point in changing the engine over unless you know that his engine is considerably better.

If you need to pay a garage to do it (I'd ask Vince at Stealth about it, he's the VR daddy) then it's almost certainly going to be better to just spend the same money on getting some work done on your engine instead. Get the chains done, new tappets, head porting/flowing/polishing etc.