Sign in to follow this  
tribetype40

Power steering rack

Hi,

Can any one please detail the symptoms of a nakered power steering rack.... I suspect theres something wrong with mine but what am I looking/feeling for (Oooo errr) theres no leaks etc...

Doug

Worn pinion bearings - Clonks, slack and vague steering

Worn pinion and/or rack - Steering unresponsive and floaty

Internal seals gone - Heavier in one direction than the other

If you turn the steering wheel the tiniest amount and the road wheels mirror that movement precisely, there is no reason to believe the rack is knackered, although there may be a little play in the pinion bearing, but the rack/pinion themselves are OK.

The rack is very tough and other components such as track rods, ball joints, top mounts, chassis bushes, dampers, wheel bearings etc etc need to be looked at first before assuming the rack is tired. Always do the most expensive item last!!

Thanks for your reply,

What i actually feel is when turning the wheel (in either direction) the steering turns easily the go hard for a little bit, then easy then hard, easy,hard etc etc. it looks to go hard at each 180degrees of turn.

I also get a lot of audible squelching of fluid in the rack is this normal or could bust seals in the rack cause this?

Cheers Doug

Your problem sounds fluid related then. Definitely no fluid leaks on the rack or associated pipework or the PAS pump?

If not you might have air lock and a drain and refill of fluid (green stuff from VW - NOT red ATF fluid) should help.

If not then I reckon your seals in the rack could be shot.

red stuff is NOT suitable for VW power steering systems. You should only use the GREEN VW stuff else you'll knacker the seals and screw up the P/S completely! :|

Get it changed ASAP!

yeah he is right it doesn F- up your system. however if you have a leak already I have found that using straight up power steering leak stop, the petroleum based stuff, as fluid that my system has stopped leaking and has been fine for about a year. it reconditions the seals and builds up a layer of the crap that is inside it. when I change the rack to 14:1 steering I will change the system out and make sure its running only the green stuff.