Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Coolant leak! Could someone host a 3gp vid for me?

Hi there. After having my G60 for nearly 2 trouble free years all the problems start now. I've recently fixed 2 rainwater leaks and 1 coolant leak (the side of the block). However, after doing that I noticed the coolant level dropping slightly but put it down to the coolant settling. It would seem that there is some coolant dripping onto the ground from the water pump. Not good, particularly combined with my need for a new alternator and bonnet release cable. I have taken a 10 sec video on my phone of what's happening but I need someone to host it so you can all have a look and give me your opinions. Any takers? It would be greatly appreciated. All this comes when I will be using my car 5 days a week as opposed to the weekend/special events I use it for just now. Think I'm gonna :cry

Dinkus has kindly hosted it for me (cheers matey)

http://www.brainwavemedia.co.uk/~domini ... pumped.3gp

Might need quicktime to view it.

Not looked at the video, but it will either be the water pump itself (£25 exchange from VAG for the whole unit) or the plastic thermostat housing which I'd replace anyway if doing the pump along with a new stat...

The only problem with the water pump is that the charger and bracket need to come off first to get to it - the stat and housing can be changed on their own.

yup, with supercharged here... if you're doing it yourself, I'd change the waterpump while you're at it so that you know it's good, as well as the thermostat and housing... It took me about 4 hours when I had to do it to J-DUB in my garden...

So I should replace the waterpump, stat housing and stat itself? Do either of you guys have the part numbers and idea of the price of these parts? Would I be aswell waiting till I bought a new alternator before doing this? What I mean is if they are in roughly the same place, to save time and money get them both done at the same time? Most likely give Star Performance a call and see what Jim can do for me. Not sure if it's something I could tackle myself. I'd be willing to try it to save a bit of money but I can't have the car off the road as of next Tuesday cause I star my new job. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input guys

alternator is a 15minute job to do on a G60, but does need to come off to do the waterpump.

Euro or GSF do the pump, thermostat and housing for about £35 all in... They're the same as all 1.6/1.8 4cylinder VAG engines for the last 25 years or more!

Coolant (G12+ 2bottles of) £dunno, they sell it, but damned if I can find it on the website!

Waterpump - complete- £20.94

Seal - £0.63 (you need 2 of these!)

Thermostat - £4.63

Thermostat housing - £ not listed, but they sell 'em for about £5! ;)

i take it the water is deffinately coming from the join in the two halves of the waterpump body? and not just from a hose or the metal pipe that runs along the front of the engine?

I would dispute the charger needs to come off.....

power steering pump deffinately, but iirc i did take the charger bracket off, only to find i didnt need to :lol:

the charger/powersteering bracket is held on by the same bolts as the waterpump - they're those weird bolts with the head halfway down 'em and a thread at each end... I can't see how you'd do that without removing the supercharger... :|

Hmmm, maybe if you just want to change the impeller part of the water pump but if its leaking thru that gasket then the bolts are bound to break... The whole pump from VW is actually cheaper than just the impeller as well....

Not replaced this yet as I really only had time to sort out my alternator before I started my new job. Anyway, after having to top up my coolant bottle on tuesday morning with water, I have noticed that when my engine temp is between 50-100 (bloody rush hour) and water temp is just under 90 there is no hot air being blown out of the heater fans. Are these problems related in anyway? Sounds like it to me but I am a bit of an amatuer.

If the impeller in your waterpump is knackered - it won't be circulating the water properly. This is one possibility for your heater not to work properly & your engine to run warmer than usual. I would suggest that these problems are related.

Good call. I was hoping that anyway. I'll get a new waterpump, stat and housing and get it fittet as soon as to see if that sorts it.