Sign in to follow this  
RACK

Induction Kit

Right, I've been looking into things and come up with an idea.

At the min Jabba are charging £141 (not sure if this includes VAT?) plus postage. This comes with a heat-shield.

I've been thinking about producing my own, using the same type of filter (jetex) and making up a complete heat-shield, one which covers the top of the filter, from heat going over the wall of it. Those with a Jabba one know what I mean.

Unless the heat-shield goes all the way up to the bonnet heat will get to the filter.

So, I'm going to knock up a prototype and post pics, then test on my car. If I find an improvement I'll offer it for sale. If not, I'll not waste anyone's time or money.

The price I'm aiming for would be between £90-£100 for each kit & heat-shield.

I would like people's views on this and any input / constructive criticism very much.

Thanks Loads

RACK

Can you get something similar to the Turn2 or Carbonio VR6 CAI kits for the G60?

These replace the airbox with a large diameter pipe that connects to the MAF assembly at one end and disappears into the hole under the airbox for the carbon filter at the other end, terminating in a K&N cone filter behind the front bumper.

Really neat and eliminates the need for a heatshield as they draw cold air from down low behind the bumper.

I would be super keen if you are going to include a 90 degree bent metal pipe as well, polished up they look ding dong

Mike, I'll have a look into it and see if I can knock something up.

Harry, I'm also looking into this, I'll have a few bits put together in the next week or so, I'll put pics up asap

Thanks

RACK

Watch this space for the G60 induction kit to top them all

Needless to say the one i have here nearly ready to fit has a 3l jeep cone filter on it. big shout to G-werks for the pipe, Im just waiting on a rubber 90 deg hose now.

I'm trying to get hold of most of the bits I need to make a proto-type and want to make something that will look good and help performance.

Hopefully I'll have a few bits ready by next week if all goes to plan, so pics will be posted.

Another thing I've thought about is, that if I can make something like the turn2 kit that goes into the wing, I might have to use a slightly smaller filter, and the carbon canister would have to be removed.

I'm gonna try and look into making 4 things;

a, complete induction kit, with heat-shield and SS pipe.

b, just heat-shield for people with cone filters already.

c, Blingin SS pipe from charger to filter

d, Full wing mounted induction kit

This stuff won't be ready for a while, and if I feel I can't make them to a high enough standard I won't waste people's time or more importantly money trying to sell them.

Once agian thanks for the interest and comments and hopefully I'll have something to show soon.

RACK

I might have a heat-shield done for the weekend and have some pics ups.

Also I think I can get away with using the big filter on the wing-mounted kit.

I'll be doing a big of checking this weekend.

The tricky bit is connecting the kit to the charger, but I'm gonna use a collet on the charger then a piece of silicone to connect to the SS intake pipe.

As soon as I make one, I'll post pics up. I will obviously test it for a while on my car to make sure things are ok.

Thanks

RACK

It looks like someone has already made an SS induction pipe, so I might have to put that on the back burner for now. But I'm still coming up with ideas.

I'm gonna concentrate on the heat-shield and wing mounted kit.

I think if I make the wing mount kit using 1 metal pipe it could all be a bit rigid so I'm gonna look into using stainless pipes with an elbow.

Would people still be interested in this?

Thanks

RACK

Right, quick up-date.

I've made the bracket that would mount the filter where the Carbon canister used to be.

What I will be doing is getting a new intake pipe and possibly a new filter as I think the one I have from Jabba is only rated to 208bhp. I'm gonna be looking into which filter will would best. Either cone or cylindricle.

Any views on this would be appreciated.

It's a bit fddly to fit, but not too hard, probably about 20mins.

I'll post some pics and more up-dates soon.

Thanks

RACK