Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

Front Speakers and Positioning

HYE All,

Right, basically, just before xmas i swapped my dash speakers from the originals to some Sony custom made jobbies. When i was testing the sound, i had them resting on top of the dash and facing me. With the Sony speakers the bass is less and the treble much better and the bass is provided by the 6x9s on the rear shelf. Sounded great. Much better staging.

However, when you put the dash speakers back in their holes the sound gets completed distorted since it bounces of the windscreen before reaching you. Sounds pants.

Currently i have no door speakers.

I am wondering about getting components speakers for the doors. Ideally, i could put some mounts on the dash to reposition and redirect the dash speakers but this seems a bit of a job, so components seems the other option. Is this the best thing to do? What is the suggestion with the tweeter from the components? Just cut a circle in the door card near the top and pop it in and put the other bit in the door pod?

Im still concerned that the sound will be wanky due to the muffled nature of the dash speakers. Is there another way to redirect the sound waves?

DF.

Get yourself onto the Audioscape group buy thread :wink:

You want a nice set of 6.5" woofers in the doors and tweeters in the dash angled to the centre of the screen.... sounds ace :thumb right:

I saw the Audioscape thread thanks!

What is the exact positioning of the dash tweeters?

Do you think it is a good idea to simply remove the current dash speakers due to the muffling effect. Putting treble speakers in there seems pointless since treble speakers are by nature directional.

And..........

On most of the component speakers i listened to the bigger speaker was lacking bass. Is this normal? Are there some decent components for not much wonga?

And......why do i want Audioscape door pods? Just because they look pretty? I have plenty more things to buy first! Like some front brakes!

The Audioscape pods serve a function, the way they look is secondary.

Corrados just have tweeters in the dash anyway. Yep they're directional but as I say, if you align them correctly, they sound good and put the soundstage in the centre of the dash where you want it.

A lack of bass from the front woofers is common in the factory door pods as they're cr@p for mounting speakers in. Speakers need a solid mounting surface to perform well and that's exactly what the Audioscape ones are for.

30% equipement - 70% install

lots of fibreglass/dynamat is the only way to get good bass from a door enclosure imo.

as for tweeters get some that come in little pods that swivel. then attach them to 2 spare tweeter covers and point them where you please :) loses the factory look but who cares. or install them in custom APillars facing across the dash.

loses the factory look but who cares.

Well I do! I don't want thieving scum looking through the window and seeing what I've got!

Got any info on these Supermo tweeters? I've found "Supreme" but not Supermo. I like soft domes and they look to be high quality... not sure if they're significantly better than my Lotus though.... how much are they?

made by MOREL ISREAL mate (there is a morel usa also). Search on TA for supremo :)

they are the lushest tweets Ive ever heard. full stop. designed to be used off axis too. just as well as they are 4" diameter!!!!!! :shock: Think they retail about £500 too

heres a pic of mine mid build in the fiat coupe.

Deffo insert some tweeters in the A pillar trims, but I put them right near the grab handle location. Right by the ears, perfect for directional tweeter type sound I reckon, lovely.

Cheers Pablo! I was a bit confused by the Morel USA, Morel Europe etc etc! They certainly look good. Do they have large rear chambers?

What makes them so good? I don't know that much about tweeters other than I'd rather have a metal cymbal reproduced by a metal dome :wink:

£500 is a bit rich for my blood! I thought £750 on my Lotus set was excessive! But they do sound sublime though :D

they just sound beautiful mate - perfect sound reproduction.

and they play from 2KHz too so more power for the mids to do midstuff :)

Nice one, they sound like top tweeters!

My Lotus mids crossover to the tweeters at 1700hz and have a resonance of 850hz! When I go active I'll be dropping the tweeters even lower - at the slight expense of power handling :wink: