Sign in to follow this  
g-spott

ignition timing

hi there

I just bought an 68 mm pully and a matching chip and the instructions said to set the ignition timing at 7 degrees.I can set the timing with a lamp at the mark on the fly wheel at 2000rpm but how can isee that it's on 7degrees ore is the mark on the flywheel 7 degrees

thank for al replys...

mark on flywheel is 6 degrees. You need an adjustable timing strobe to get the engine set to exactly 7degrees.

don't you just use an adjustable timing light and set it to 7degs, then time in

Henny,

So if i want to set it and 7 degs i have to set it at the mark on the flywheel and then set it a bit earlyer by turning the dizzy (if thatS how you call it) counter clockwise...

nope, you need an adjustable timing strobe to set it to 7degrees. A normal timing stobe will allow you to set the timing to 6degrees by using the marker on the flywheel. Any other setting (except for 0 degrees!) needs an adjustable strobe to achieve... :|

oh crap........ just bought the normal timing strobe brand new .....

I hope thy take it back....

anyway..thank's for the help

Set it to 6 degrees, then move it back a little bit.. From the diameter of the dizzy you should be able to calculate one degree of arc and measure it with a ruler... Unorthodox but no reason why it shouldn't work.

isn't timing measured off the crank, not the dizzy? learning here

the timing is where the dizzy makes the spark occur in relation to the position of the crank. If you get the engine set up to 6degrees, in theory it's then possible to take off the dizzy cap, mark it up and measure 1degree, then turn it so that you've added on the extra degree...

I say in theory 'cos I've always just used an adjustable timing strobe... :|

yeh sorry - stupid post of mine, point being it's easier to measure the bigger flywheel/ crank than little awkward dizzy for 1 degree - but then of course you can't get access to do this easily!

came accross a post on vortex recently where the guy had lined it up to TDC, counted the number of teeth on his cam belt, divided by 360degs, to get number of teeth to 1 deg, then moved belt by 6xnumber of teeth!!!!! needless to say it didn't work!

came accross a post on vortex recently where the guy had lined it up to TDC, counted the number of teeth on his cam belt, divided by 360degs, to get number of teeth to 1 deg, then moved belt by 6xnumber of teeth!!!!! needless to say it didn't work!

That's 'cos (IIRC) each tooth is about 8degrees! :|

you can get large 360degree protractors from places like stationary box or whsmiths to mark the pulley up for 7 degrees

so just to clear up, is the notch on the pulley 6dbtdc so a new mark needs to be made 1 degree further to the right?

The notch on the pulley on the belts side of the engine is TDC (0degrees) there's also a notch on the FLYWHEEL (which is where you should be shining the timing light as it's more accurate) which is 6degrees as well as the 0 degree marker.

would it be possible for some one to measure the distance from the 6 degree mark to the 7 degree point for the new mark?

as i just bought a standard timing light and dont fancy spending 60quid for an adjustable one that i will probably only use a couple of times :wink:

would it be possible for some one to measure the distance from the 6 degree mark to the 7 degree point for the new mark?

as i just bought a standard timing light and dont fancy spending 60quid for an adjustable one that i will probably only use a couple of times :wink:

That would be verry helpfull......I asum there are more people who have to set it 7degs

Measure it yourself. Work out the diameter of the dizzy cap at the measuring point, then do some simple maths and bob's yer uncle.

my measuring skills are fine but my maths skills are crap, is there such a thing as numerical dyslexia? if there is i have it :lol:

the distance from the ign timing mark to the tdc mark is 14.5 mm so divide this by 6 =2.41 so measure the tdc mark past the ign mark 2.41 theres your 7 degrees

funk

the distance from the ign timing mark to the tdc mark is 14.5 mm so divide this by 6 =2.41 so measure the tdc mark past the ign mark 2.41 theres your 7 degrees

funk

nice to see a simple logical answer cheers :thumbleft: i didnt think of it like that :scratch: :brickwall: