Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Will V6 4motion Haldex gearbox fit a 20v engine ????

Hi Guys,

Not planning anything quite yet but just doing my research. If I got hold of a V6 4-motion haldex set up I beleive the gearbox wouldn't fit my 20v engine, however if I managed to source a 20v haldex gearbox and use the gearbox bellhousing from the 20v box to put the V6 gears into would this be compatible and thus do the job???? Any ideas..... :?: :D

Coxylad, PhatVR6... you guys might know?

the 02m is a complete bastard to fit in an older vw.

The thing is huge, and runs VERY close to the subframe.

firstt of all, your driveshafts ain't gonna fit, so it's time for shortened TT ones or custom ones.

secondly, the bigger TT CV joints mean that th gearbox side subframe mounth as to go altogether or be moved back. so you have to make up a cutsom mount or weld in the chassis leg mounts like in a mk4 golf or tt.

and also, there is no provision to bolt on the front engine mount either, so it's another custom jobbie.

also, those dual mass flywheels are total sh1t and fail a lot. i have a few of those if you need one.

one of the reasons I decided not to fit the 02m in my corrado. it'll be going in my golf, but that won't exactly be shy of chassis mods..........

check out http://www.dutchdub.com for more info on getting the 02m in.

decided against the move to 4-motion this evening because I can't afford it at the moment. Need to get the car on the road... thanks for the help phat..

I have done the 02M installation on my old mk2, and it was a bit of a fiddly job, with a few custom brackets to be made up, but its not horrific by anymeans, it is an engine out, subframe off job though.

The corrado I have is using the mk4 engine mounting system, so the 02m just hangs there nicely.

yeah, I had them friction welded the correct length cos I wanted the chunkier cvs.

I would only have shafts shortened by friction welding and no other way, the consequences of one of those giving out at speed could be catastrophic

Thnx for the info.

Btw BiggerBigBen: if you use the 02M gearbox remember you have to buy a new clutch and have a one mass 240mm flywheel made as the oem dualmass is too weak also be sure to get the starter with it.

Thnx for the info.

Btw BiggerBigBen: if you use the 02M gearbox remember you have to buy a new clutch and have a one mass 240mm flywheel made as the oem dualmass is too weak also be sure to get the starter with it.

Thus why I can't afford to do it yet... watch this space though...

I have an R32 clutch if you want to buy that?

My mate has a flywheel off an audi A3, i'll see if they fit together with the 02m box, they should do.

Phat,

Thats kind of you to offer but I just can't afford to do it, besides I think its more important to get the car on the road....

If I did it I would want a decent clutch as the R32 one isn't that good, I've been in Guy H's AMD tuned 300bhp R32 and his clutch slips all the time when you floor it! There might not be any after market ones avaliable at the moment, who knows.. I'll leave this conversion untill end of the year I think... maybe with a change of engine as well?!!?