Sign in to follow this  
fidelityutensils

Soaking wet foot well where's my leak?

I'm having a bit of grief and can't seem to find out the problem!

CAN ANYONE HELP?

I went to pick something up from my passenger foot well the other day (after not really paying attention to it for weeks prior to this) and found the mat and carpet totally soaking wet!

I took out and dried the mat and put the footwell heaters on for a few long drives to try and dry it out and that seems to be OK.

I am kinda concerned because i can't seem to find the source of the water. it is ONLY the passenger footwell, and nothing else!

i can't take up the carpet because it's so fitted, but hope it isn't a hole in the floor! It's a 95 Storm in good nick, so i would have thought this unlikely!

the only place i could seem to locate as being wet was in some of the foam surrounding only one of the wiring bundles above the footwell behind the glovebox area! As it seemed to be dripping down!

i took the shelf and glovebox out and can't see anything obvious but

the water that i squeezed from the foam seemed like rain water (ie dirty) and just like that i got from the carpet (so 2 plus 2 i suppose!)

it has been torential up here for the last wee while

though it could have built up over weeks for all i know!

Any one any clues, I would much appreciate any help!

i'd check for blocked sunroof drainage channels,blocked scuttle and torn door membranes for starters.

Sounds like the grille in the engine bay is clogged with leaves thus letting water in or the seal around the grille has perished and is letting water in. The water drips down along the blower motor for the heater and gets the carpet really wet. Same happened to me bout a month ago. Easy enough to sort out, just takes a while. Well it did the way I did it. I removed the grille and the seal and cleaned it all up. I got some black sealant and went crazy with it! I made sure that between the bodywork and the inside of the blower motor was water tight and then made a new silicone seal and it worked a treat. Good luck in sorting it. Whereabouts in glasgow are you anyway? Might be able to give you a hand.

I have just finished drying out my VR6 as well and would strongly advise you to check out under the carpets as the felt underlay on mine was soaking and must have been damp for a period off time. I discovered 3(!)

leaks in total, around the air intake to the heater as the guys said before was choked with leaves, the door membrane was leaking and where the clowns that fitted my alarm had drilled through the bulk head for a cable so it came up straight up and the sealant they put round it had perished allowing water to come down behind the fuse box. Anyway the felt was rotten and stank!

Your need to get those carpets up mate.. the sound denting will hold water for ages and really stink you out after a while! Take it up, find where its coming from... job done.. put it back together all dry and be happy lol

not sure exactly how to remove carpet,but id say your best off to be honest,its kinda satisfying to get everything out/cleaned up and put neatly back in.

to get the front seats out is pi$$ easy m8,one 10mm nut and bolt at the front/lower part of seat,tilt them forward and slide em out towards the back of the car.

when replacing,make sure the white runner clips stay on too...

:D

Capet removal is easy, just time consuming and a bit fiddly. I've had my carpets out 2 or 3 times and it's just a pain. You need to remove the lower half of the dashboard (the little shelves etc), the rear seats (bottom half), front seats all the centre tunnel, rear doorcards (might be able to get away without), plastic trim along inside of doors and I think that's about it. Sounds like a nightmare but is relatively easy when you've done it a few times.

Just a quick one to let you know that i think i've sorted it out!! (although lack of torential rain means the solution hasn't been fully tested!)

Turns out the scuttle had come loose and was letting water in through the fan seal that was slightly perished.

replaced the scuttle and no leaks. still need to seal up the fan etc as shown in the link above.

thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated and so much better than taking to the garage and being ripped off!!