Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

The CorradoPuter!

Here's some details of a little project I've been thinking about for a while now:

(mainly 'cos I've got a spare laptop lying around at home looking for a use...)

just need to find a spare week to get it all together 8) 8) 8)

(The inspiration for this mad idea can be found here )

The Corrado-Puter!

A Corrado based computing/entertainment device, providing:

GPS satellite navigation & route planning

DVD/MP3/VCD/CD video/audio playback

Tracker-like SMS & email based security features (if the car is started without unique USB key/dongle present then it sends me an SMS message telling me so & containing the car's current location obtained from the GPS. Its movements are recorded to a file which could be auto-emailed every 5 or 10 mins. Or if I send an SMS to the car like "Where RU" it will reply with its current location. Could even send a message to tell it to set off the alarm's panic circuit with a little extra h/w)

email/www access

wireless LAN sync of all files (mp3 etc.) when outside the house

permanent VAG-COM monitoring/performance analysis

The system will be based on an old laptop (probably Celeron 400 with 128M & 6G disk) with the suspend/resume switch from the lid triggered from the radio/accessory circuit so it should hibernate & wake up within about 10 secs of keys in/out.

The system will run either win2k or a flavour of linux like http://www.dashpc.com . (preferably linux if I can get a driver for the USB GPS.)

The laptop battery should act as a kind of UPS whilst the car is cranked/started and the external DC drops, and allow it to suspend when the keys are removed. Power provided by mains inverter and laptop's standard psu, or directly by custom built dc/dc converter.

With an external 7" VGA TFT LCD touchscreen mounted somewhere on the dash, the laptop, PSU & other gubbins could be mounted under the passenger side storage shelf whilst retaining access to the CD drive. Also, a wireless USB keyboard with builtin trackball will be used when the touchscreen isn't enough.The screen will retract or be removable when not in use for security.

The GPS receiver will probably be the Royaltek USB GPS mouse.

The audio out will be either connected via a cassette adapter to the head unit or wired directly into the preamp.

Either the Nokia cardphone or a Nokia 6130 + Psion GSM PCcard will be used for the SMS interface and dialup internet access. (Cardphone preferred as a neater & higher spec. solution - supports GPRS)

WLAN pc card will provide access to my wired lan at home via my wireless access point. And by running VNC I could conceivably get to the car's "desktop" from inside the house.

A USB socket will be mounted in the dash or gearstick surround. A small USB key will have to be present whenever the laptop is "awake" or else it will send a text message to my mobile with the present location of the car from the GPS, saving the car's movements to a file which could be auto-emailed to me every 5/10 mins.

VAG-COM could be permanently wired in to the diags socket of the car.

Could also do performance measurements (0-60, 0-100 & 1/4 mile times using the GPS as a reference.) - combine with VAG-COM for engine RPM + other telemetry too.

I've also been thinking along these lines for a while now... :o not quite to the same spec as you though! 8) :crazyeyes:

It'll be interesting to see if you can get all of this to work...

Good luck!

I've also been thinking along these lines for a while now... :o not quite to the same spec as you though! 8) :crazyeyes:

It'll be interesting to see if you can get all of this to work...

Good luck!

Add into the equation - "8 month old son", "3 year old daughter" and "wife" (!) and I'm left with absolutely 0 spare time so I reckon it'll never make it off the page... :cry: :cry: :cry:

If it does it'll be a bloody miracle!

Add into the equation - "8 month old son", "3 year old daughter" and "wife" (!) and I'm left with absolutely 0 spare time so I reckon it'll never make it off the page... :cry: :cry: :cry:

If it does it'll be a bloody miracle!

Ohh, sometimes I like being single and not having to worry about stuff like that.... :lol:

I may get my system up and running before yours then? I'll keep you posted... 8) I may "borrow" some of your ideas though... :roll: :lol:

it should bee real cool, to have everything you add up... but why a laptop, why don't just put the laptop away behind the dash and let everything work on a touch screen tft ?.... mounted in place of the rear view mirror i.e. ?

it should bee real cool, to have everything you add up... but why a laptop, why don't just put the laptop away behind the dash and let everything work on a touch screen tft ?.... mounted in place of the rear view mirror i.e. ?

why a laptop?

1. because I've got a spare one!

2. because the laptop with battery and external PSU already has proper power management built in, and is suited to be suspended when the ignition goes off

The plan is to have the laptop closed but powered up, and use an external TFT LCD touch screen. Might even mount the laptop in a docking station in the boot.

stromseeker i have also been thinking about something like this. But repectively not in as much detail as urself. WHAT abt mounthing the laptop in front of the passenger seat where the tray is, but actually replacing the tray and having the laptopn on rollers and arms that u can pull out and swivel and u could use the actual laptop but may be bit tricky when u have a passenger and when u have some time build a door in front of the laptop or use a glove box door like from a 306 or a vectra that will cover the whole unit and be discreet.

just ideas rolling onto paper (or the screen in this case) 8) :shock:

WHAT abt mounthing the laptop in front of the passenger seat where the tray is, but actually replacing the tray and having the laptopn on rollers and arms that u can pull out and swivel and u could use the actual laptop but may be bit tricky

Erm, so you go round a corner, or brake hard, or accellorate hard - and the laptop slides out, hitting your passenger, or breaking itself....

I think secured and fixed would be a lot better.

stromseeker i have also been thinking about something like this. But repectively not in as much detail as urself. WHAT abt mounthing the laptop in front of the passenger seat where the tray is, but actually replacing the tray and having the laptopn on rollers and arms that u can pull out and swivel and u could use the actual laptop but may be bit tricky when u have a passenger and when u have some time build a door in front of the laptop or use a glove box door like from a 306 or a vectra that will cover the whole unit and be discreet.

just ideas rolling onto paper (or the screen in this case) 8) :shock:

Already thought about that - not good having it sliding out with cables plugged into 3 sides (back & left/right sides!).

Having it mounted securely is a better idea. Would fit nicely under the passenger side tray, but in the boot in a docking station would be more secure, but a pain to access the CD/DVD-ROM and more cabling (VGA, power, USB, audio etc. ) back to the front.

I've nearly got all the bits together (just waiting for USB GPS to be delivered) to have a trial run without the thing in the car....

Further development - also considering having a small USB webcam - triggered by the alarm or by the car being started without the USB key present - pointing at the driver's seat from the passenger's side. Hoping to either capture someone in the car or trying to get in the driver's door.

Argggggggggh !!! Is this all going a bit too far??? :shock: :shock:

If you're gonna do that, then you might as well have a 0 lux camera mounted in the front bumper and a wide angle one in the rear for reversing (with the image flipped)... :)

If you're gonna do that, then you might as well have a 0 lux camera mounted in the front bumper and a wide angle one in the rear for reversing (with the image flipped)... :)

yeah - thought about that too - could easily double the weight of the car soon.... :wink:

if u gonna want the same type of secuirity without the cost or weight prob then sell it and get a punto- us a thought

if u gonna want the same type of secuirity without the cost or weight prob then sell it and get a punto- us a thought

Eh?

:shock: :| :? :shock:

So say hello to the newbie! Flame suit is on 8)

Seems like more and more people are getting into the idea of having a fully functional PC in their car. I've been toying with the idea for about half year now and this is the stuff I've collected so far:

VIA EPIA M9000 mobo 933mhz

Opus solutions DC-DC Power supply

256 MB Corsair 266 DDR RAM

Toshiba 20 GB laptop hard drive

Lite-on 8x laptop dvd

Laptop to IDE adapters for hd and dvd

Deluo USB GPS

USB Multi-card reader

USB WiFi

Hauppauge WinTV USB TV Tuner/FM stereo/Video capture

Miniature pinhole camera for backup system

IVOS voice recognition software

G-net car PC interface software

Now all I'm missing is the freakin display, which has to be in-dash because I don't want to cut it up with a flush-mount. dscustoms and digitalworldwide are super lagged in getting their products to market :x

I will post progress pictures once the project is in its install phase. Should be a bit of fun :mad:

i like the idea of all this, but seems a bit ott for everyday use, and frankly just i'd be worried abot the car getting broken into for the kit.

still i'd like to see the finished product!!

My car is definitely not a daily driver (I have a *gasp* Honda for that :oops: ) and I NEVER park it out on the street. Basically it gets used to go riding in, out of the house and back LOL. I will document the project throughout its stages.

Really this has no true 'practical' use, it's more for kicks and the thrill of doing a cool project like this.

Now all I'm missing is the freakin display,

That's what's giving me the biggest headache too - don't want to have something that's left on show...