Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Strange Wire

Ok, I was taking apart my interior today and found a purple wire tapped into the black wire on my boot light which runs towards the dash (I've traced it as far as under the front seat carpet) - what the hell is that for (It's deffo not original!)

History - my car is fairly original in terms of the wiring and I have added the headlamp loom and some speaker cable...

The only thing that I had problems with when I got the car was a badly fitted clifford alarm and had loads of bare wires and missing screws behind the dash which I sorted and all the electrics have been fine since (I had a few gremlins and it sorted then all)

Sorry - so basically I think it must be part of the alarm but why would it need a feed to the boot light???? - all the rest of the alarm stuff is behind the dash/centre console...

Hmmm - I hope not!! the CL primes to deadlock 30 seconds after closure but the boot light goes off as soon as the boot is closed...

...do you think its just telling the alarm the boot is closed?

I would have thought it's to trigger the alarm is anyone opens the boot. Just like you have a bonnet trigger wire for the same reason.

The boot is an access point after all.

with Phat here, it'll be an alarm trigger for the boot as opening the boot doesn't turn on the interior light, so you need to either tap into the boot light (hence the wire) or tap in a current sensor to detect the current when the boot light comes on...

Ok cool, yeah makes sense, I just love the way the wire was just tucked down the seat, and its about 5 metres longer than it needs to be!

Gav, I did say MOST... I know you're good, I wouldn't be buying wiring looms off you if you weren't! ;) :lol: I know a couple of other good places too... ;)

p.s. are you still doing alarms? I may need one on my new G60 as the one that's on it is doing my head in... :|

Yeah, still got them. Not fitted many lately cos I don't like the cold :roll:

Only dealing with GT really but they have been pretty good IMO.

Gavin

Yep, deffo to tell the alarm the boot is/isn't secure. I watched hawk eyed while the guy fitted my alarm to make sure he did a good job; he did.