Sign in to follow this  
fla

cleaning alloy parts

I have just changed the coolant in my car and it gave me a good opportunity to clean up various parts of the engine. I've got aircon so the bay is pretty cramped to say the least. However, after cleaning some of the plastics and then spraying with some cockpit shine, the manifold etc looks REALLY terrible. I've gently used a wire brush on it but other alloy parts also look tarnished and dull. What have you guys tried to clean it up and polish it to make it look, well, smart. Not of course to A20Lee's standard (IMHO the smartest looking engine I've EVER seen bar none).

BTW, cleaning the INSIDE of teh bonnet makes a hige differnce to the cleanliness of the engine, maybe because light bounces off it nicely. IIRC someone had a polished manifold for sale recently - who, how much etc?

to do a proper job its a case of removing the part that needs to be polished and then get it on a buffer

if you just want it clean though warm gunk on a warm engine will do the job but takes a lot to get it all dry afterwards