Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

gearbox problems on vr6

noticed a huge patch of oil under my car the other day and it seems that all the gearbox oil has drained out of the gearbox. has ne one had any problems like this before. was diagnosed as a pin from the diff firing throgh the gearbox casing and the repair bill of 1200 quid, any ideas or experience of similar or common 'box problems would be greatly appreciated to get me back on the road as i miss my vr :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

The sheared diff pin is a VW classic and you've been an unlucky victim of it. As Supercharged said, s/hand boxes are a lot cheaper than £1200. Stealth Racing had a very very low mileage (something like 15K) VR6 gearbox last time I was there, might be worth calling him. He's worth a call anyway as Stealth are the best gearbox resource in the country. There's nothing Vince doesn't know about VAG gearboxes.

so thats a bit much?? its at a mechanic now that i know very welll and he said that 1200 was way too much but i am quite new to corrados so i wasn't sure. and he will do the work for cash. how much is a clutch . do i need a kit or just friction plate. can't see it listed in gsf cata logue but they do have one for a sharan vr6 at 79+vat

Yes £1200 is way over the top but was that the price VW quoted your mechanic? Sounds about right for a VW box actually.

Stealth charge £550 for a complete rebuild to give you an idea of alternatives.

He might have a spare casing if you want to go down that route. I would personally as you're guaranteed to get a good box at the end of it.

You buy clutches as a 3 peice kit. Friction disc, pressure plate and release bearing are all included. Corrado VR clutch is about £80 and go for LUK, not SACHS.

yup, with Kev here, phone Stealth! 8) £1200 = taking the peeeeeeee.....

I paid that for a second hand VR6 gearbox and then a rebuild with a Quaife LSD fitted from Stealth! (gearbox was sourced from here thanks to PhatVR6)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I bought the gearbox off Vince 10 days ago for £550 and it was brand new. He might have another but didn't mention having another one. This exact same thing happened to me, a nice hole in the clutch bell housing, waste of time getting it reconned as most of the internals will be f*cked. I refused to pay someone to do it so I did it by myself on axel stands and surprisingly it isn't that difficult but it depends on how mechanically minded you are. I mean I've never changed a 'box before on a normal car, I know of another box around thats been reconned if your interested it's £545 + VAT but you might get it VAT free if you pay cash :wink: Good luck any way as I really feel your pain. Thats the picture of the 'box I bought.