Sign in to follow this  
LarryDuff

Squealing clutch

I think my clutch needs replacing, but i though i'd see what peeps thought b4 i get it changed. Not mechanically minded so apologies if this is a bit obvious!

Right. When pulling away from a stand i get a kind of squealing noise as the clutch bites for a second or so ( depending on how long you slip the clutch). It goes as soon as the pedal is let right out.

Also occasionally when going back into 1st after driving at speed for a while i'll get a grinding as i go into gear. Seems to happen more when the car's hot.

Local dealer quoted £436 to change the clutch (not that i have any intention of taking it there!), which sounds expensive to me - is it??

Car has done 77k

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers, Anthony

Does it slip, in the higher gears and going up hills in particular? If so, either the pressure plate is weak or the driven plate friction surface is worn out. Does it judder when pulling away with minimum revs? If so, the cushionsprings are broken or the clutch faces are distorted. The squealing on take up may be worn linings causing the rivets to wear into the pressure plate or the flywheel, but I would expect that to be accompanied by slipping in the higher gears.

Grinding as you go into 1st gear could be either worn synchromesh in the gearbox itself, or a dragging clutch caused by a worn release bearing or contaminated friction linings.

£436 is a tad pricey I would say. A complete high quality (LUK) clutch set is about £100, so over £300 for labour - OTT in my view.

Best wishes

RB

Thanks for the info. I don't get any slip when in gear but i do get juddering when pulling away unless i use higher revs. So new clutch it is then i guess.

Are there any other jobs that might be worth getting done at the same time?

I often get the same noise when setting off. It's been like that for the last 7000 miles and isn't getting worse. No sign of clutch slipping. Is this something I should live with or can it damage anything else?

Cheers,

Briggy

I had my VR6 clutch replaced at 77K and was surprised to find tonnes of meat left on the original friction disc. The pedal was extremely heavy and I had a slight judder which were the main reasons for changing it.

As Stealth explained to me, although the friction disc was only half worn, the pressure plate was also worn which means the pressure plate springs need to be compressed more in order to release the drive, which consequently causes a heavy pedal.

When the new one went in I nearly put my foot through the floor as it was so light!

I would avoid SACHS clutches, I had 2 warranty replacements on those.

Stick with LUK.

Come to think of it, the judder can also be caused by weak or broken engine mounts; it's a very common problem. If the engine is jumping about there many be noises from such things as the exhaust system being bashed into the body of the car. Look especially at the front mount; start the engine, engage 1st gear, apply the handbrake and gradually engage the clutch. If the front of the engine moves up by very much or the mount is obviously broken, that may be your problem.

"What else needs doing?", you ask. How many miles has the engine done? Are the timing chains healthy ie rattle-free at about 1500rpm? If not, the time to do them is when the gearbox and clutch are off. Parts are about £250, plus a few more hours labour. Once done, you can forget them for the next 100 000 miles. I wish I could forget mine!!

Best wishes

RB