Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

Will facelift (96ish) Passat sunroof fit the C??

Been to a scrapy today to pick a couple of small bits up and noticed they had an estate passat 96ish vintage (ie the face lift model with the grill) with a complete sunroof. Had a a look on etka and the pre and post facelift models have different part numbers for the sunroof. I wondered if anyone has fitted this later sunroof to a C?

Pic of passat for ref of year.

Yeah the early frames have the same part number as the corrado one on etka, but this later one has a new prefix to the part number. Just wondered if anyone had used the later sunroof.

I've been after one one for a while, ended up with the wrong roof & had to sell it on.. yr best asking Henny as to which year passat it was as he fitted one..

I have a feeling the moonroof on the '96 is actually slightly bigger.... take a tape measure to your existing one and note down the dimensions if you decide to go to the yard and give this a go so you'll know instantly if it's the correct size or not... ;) 8) Don't forget that you need to measure the HOLE on the corrado, not the panel 'cos the seal is part of the glass panel and so it's that measurement which is important! ;)

The passat moonroof looks really well on mine....and makes some difference on the amount of light in the interior!

It seems to be slightly more curved than the orig sunroof. So I had to play around with a few spacers to get it to sit flush with the roof. There is a small increase in wind noise, but nothing too bad!! I am going to refit it soon to try and reduce it though!!

I only found that there was an increase in wind noise when the interior panel was open (so you could see out of the glass)... When it's closed, I actually thought it was quieter than the standard steel sunroof... 8)

Yeah, I'd have to agree.....but I thought that driving around with the interior pannel closed kinda defeated the whole purpsoe of fitting a glass moonroof in the first place :? :oops:

Yeah, I'd have to agree.....but I thought that driving around with the interior pannel closed kinda defeated the whole purpsoe of fitting a glass moonroof in the first place :? :oops:

Only if it's sunny outside... when it's dark or raining, who cares if it's open or shut? :lol: ;) (It's always raining in Manchester, apart from now that I'm stuck in my office... :mad: )

can anyone supply me with some info on how a Passat 94 sunroof is fitted, is it quite easy and how time consuming is it?

I'll be refiting mine in the next few days to try and reduce the wind noise!!.....I'll take a few pics of how its done as I'm doing it!!

It's not that hard to do at all!!.....main difficulty is removing the headliner! All the interior grab handles, sun visors, have to be taken off. Then the A,B,C pillar covers have to be removed or just loosened at the top, which requires removing seatbelts etc!!...after that the new moonroof just simply bolts in with 8(?) bolts!!

Two hour job probably...one hour if you know what your doing!