Sign in to follow this  
iandavidcassidy

vr6 overheating prob

Hi

My corrado has overheathing probs. When the car water temp gets to 100 the fans come on but even on the motorway never go off.

Then the water warning light starts to flash. And the water starts to hit 140!!!. I stopped and opened the bonnet and steam was leaking out of the coolant resivour and it was very full.

I heard from here that the two big hoses/pipes to the right side of the engine could be checked so i did. The top one was boiling and the bottom one not cold but very slightly warm. The engine was very cold. The fans were still on.

I have a feeling i may need a new thermostat as the heater works etc. But also when i turn the ignition on (but not the engine) i can no longer hear the aux water pump. (although i'm not sure what it should sound like). I can hear one pump turn on but from behind me (is that the fuel pump?)

So - Do you think i need a new thermostat or pump or both. or could it even be something else? They can't both break same time surely!

cheers for your help guys your all brill

ian

The aux water pump should be running all the time the ignition is on, but it's so quiet sometimes that you're not easily going to notice it unless you stick your head under the bonnet..

Sound's to me like youprobably do need a new aux water pump and thermostat.It is possible that the aux water pump has not been working for a long time.It's located just behind the coilpack to the right handside of the engine,switch the ignition on and see if you can here a buzzing sound if not it's knackered

:(

doh. is it worth getting it all changed at the same time - incl stat housing,

i have seen that on GSF parts the stat is only 6.85 and tghe pump 19.00 is this true. Also will i need a new EXPANSION TANK as water was coming out of it.

my garage said i could have messed up the head gasket too!

arhh

The main water pump is about £19, the aux water pump is nearer £60 I'm aftaid. The loss of the aux water pump wouldn't cause the severity of problem you're seeing here, so I suspect you definitely need a thermostat first. Like I say though, it's quite possible you just can't hear the aux pump and it's fine!

Oh, and the expansion tank is designed to lose water if the system goes over pressure (I'd say 140 degrees would do that!!), don't worry about that unless it's leaking when the engine is cold.

cheers.

how can i tell if the aux pump is working or not. with ignition on what should i hear.

1. fuel pump, rear of car?

2 Aux water pump, near engine somewhere?

3. any other pumps?

Heardy already pointed out where the aux water pump was. Yes, the fuel pump is in the tank.

Switch the ignition on, stick your ear near the aux water pump, if it's running and not leaking, it's most likely fine.