Sign in to follow this  
mannik

Instrumentation lighting

Had the heat exchanger changed recently by someone who had problems putting the dash back together :-(

Anyhow, I do not remember if, at night, the heating controls were illuminated since there is no illunination now. Neither is the cigarette lighter illuminated.

Can someone please advise

Many thanks

VR6 '93 (round controls)

Should be as simple as the bulbs needing replacing, first off check that your courtesy light inside the ash tray is working. From memory the same feed for the illumination circuit G58 is used for this, the heater controls and the cigar lighter.

If the dash has been out, it may be the 2 pin connectors haven't been re-connected. Good luck hunting!

neither the ash tray or in fact the glove box light work ...

Should I take out the ventilation controls and look there first or can it be anywhere behind the dash?

Thanks again

Mark

Could be anywhere behind the dash, take a multimeter and check there is continuity / power getting to the illumination contacts on one of the bulb holders. If there is, it may be conincidental that the bulbs have gone, otherwise something more related to the wiring behind the dash going to the fuse box. Check that the illumination dimmer is working, i.e with side/headlights on make sure the speedo clocks illumination changes.

... it's a good place to start, the ash tray light is the easiest one to get to btw ;-) Guy

Turned out either the bulbs were missing or blown everywhere.

The only problem that remains is that I have replaced the bulb in the middle heating control (which now illuminated well at night), but the two outer controls you can hardly see any illumination. This cannot be correct since it looks ridiculous

Have I missed anything? Are there bulbs or illumination that is hidden for the heating controls 1 and 3?

It's correct I'm afraid and yes it's a seriously ridiculous design.. I have put in the most powerful bulb of the right size that Halfrauds sell and it made a slight improvement over the standard bulb...

Thing is I don't remeber it being like this before the heater matrix was changed :-(

Oh well, guess I'll have to live with it for now.

Did the 'light pipes' for the illumination get damaged while you had the dash out for the matrix? Just a little crack in these can damage the light transmittance...

They probably did get damaged (or removed!) by the person who did this.

Where are these light pipes? Behind the plastic panel covering the three controls?