Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Track day

Hi

I have booked myself on a trackday in a couple of weeks and was wondering, as it would be my first, if anyone could recommend guidance/tips etc. What prep work should I do to my C to ensure that I dont cook something!

I am really looking forward to it, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Lippy

Get a good, full service done a week or so before so that you can work out if it's using any water/oil before hand and sort it. Make sure EVERYTHING is in tip-top condition especially tyres, brakes and cooling system.

TAKE IT EASY for your first few laps and gradually build up to going faster as you get to know the track... being the first to crash isn't seen as cool! :lol:

Yup, everything Henny said. Do an oil change before you go and make sure your fluids are all topped up.

Also, you're likely to use a fair bit of rubber (up to ~3mm), so make sure your tyres are up to it because you don't want to drive home on bald tyres. Some coppers actually camp outside the gates when there's a track day on and nab you on the way out for illegal tyres, so be careful.

Similarly, make sure your brakes have a nice amount of pad left on them.

Finally, take it easy on your 'in-lap' before you come in to the pits, as it lets the car cool down. Then when you do come in to the pits, drive to a nice flat area (pits tend to be flat anyway) and put the car in neutral with the engine running for a bit. This will let the oil cool down before you turn the engine off. It's particularly important if you've got a G60, but it's still good practice in a valver.

Don't sit with your foot on the brake and don't put the handbrake on, because your brakes will be very hot and you'll warp the disks.

Oh and have fun :D

Also, you're likely to use a fair bit of rubber (up to ~3mm), so make sure your tyres are up to it because you don't want to drive home on bald tyres. Some coppers actually camp outside the gates when there's a track day on and nab you on the way out for illegal tyres, so be careful.

At the same time you dont want to use nearly new tyres as the blocks are so big they squirm a lot causing the tyre to overheat quickly and they literally get torn apart.

What track are you going to? Its always worth trying to watch a few vids first as well to get a general idea of where your going.

anyone got any info on trackdays as am quite keen to do one!!

how much?

where?

when?!?!?

will have a look on google but insider knowledge will be appreciated

cheers

back again!

I am going to a day at anglesey, should be a great laugh - number of mates from work are going (pity my valver wil be one of the slowest though!)

cheers for all the input guys - will hopefully see you all at an event soon!

Lippy

Ah, the Anglesey circuit! Been around it on a Pro-Kart! 8)

It's pretty narrow and has some good twisty bits, so you may not be as outclassed as you think as handling has a lot to do with speed around that circuit! ;) 8) Track details HERE

http://www.bookatrack.co.uk organise track days all over the country and have an excellent safety record. If they catch you (or anyone else) doing stupid stuff, they give you a rollocking. If you do it again, they tell you to leave.

They're not the cheapest things to do and some tracks organise their own days, which are much cheaper (Anglesey being one of them). The days cost anywhere between £75 oop north to £175 for places like Brands, Silverstone etc.

Oh and Henny you don't want none of that pro-kart junk, you want some 250cc 2 stroke mentalness - they look silly, but they eat Radicals and 911s for breakfast :D

I have had some good trackdays with http://www.easytrack.co.uk. They do Oulton and Elvington up north and all the usual suspects down south.

I like Oulton, personally having rated Castle Combe for years until they stuck in 2 extra chicanes and never told me about it. Made myself look a right t1t going for it in the mk1 with a big crowd behind me. They thought I knew what I was doing. I did really just a year behind the times. Next thing monster brake check to stay on the track.

Having just recovered from that one I went straight on at the next chicane and had to wait while everyone else overtook me before rejoining the track. :roll:

So Hennys comment about winding up slowly is very valid, even at a track you have been to before. If there is access to an instructor I'd take that too. You can get even more from a std car by driving better.

gavin