Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Help my brakes are mashed!!!!

One of my rear calipers was siezed so i thought as a winter project i would give my brakes a refurb. new discs all round, pads (on front), MK4 golf rear calipers. Had to change one of the rear brake pipes too. Anyway whilst stripping the whole thing down i practically damaged everyone of the ABS sensors but thought i could sort this later. My brakes were utter shite to begin with pedal kept going down all the way to the floor!! .........i bled the whole system twice and even the two valves on the abs pump it helped but the pedal still has too much travel the brakes work but very little.............the only thing i thought it could be is the rear pads as i used corrado ones but with golf calipers..........help me pleassseeee

Did you set the rear calipers up - ie use the winback tool to actually move the piston inwards so there is only 1mm max between both pads and the disk??

Also I thought you had to use VAG COM to bleed the ABS pump as there was a special procedure...

Also I thought you had to use VAG COM to bleed the ABS pump as there was a special procedure...
Erm...not sure about that one - you need the ign switched on though. :wink:

Mwhen i done my 280mm conversion a few weeks ago,althought i didnt split the system,the pedal went spongy.Its cured itself now but i think it was the new pads bedding in

The guy who mot'd it told me it may well be that the brakes need bedding in as i had all discs and pads changed.....i need to do at least 200 miles for that

Whenever you have new brake pads in [in my limited experience] it takes a while for the brakes to feel as they should - they feel spongy and they engage later in my experience - you case sounds more serious than though - how are they now?

had the ignition on the pedal was perfect with the ignition off fire the car up and it decides to go futher down.
That's just the servo working.

When bedding in brakes, I usually go for a drive for half-an-hour and use my left foot to press the brake pedal every few minutes - just a dab. Better to make sure no-ones is behind you.

It'll help bed them in quicker.