Sign in to follow this  
Funkster

VR6 heater went cold at idle

'lo all,

I was stuck in traffic a bit the other day, and my engine temp was getting a bit high (I suspect the thermoswitch on the rad) so I had my heater on full blast to try to reject a bit more heat. At one point, sitting at lights, my heater went cold despite the engine temp reading nearly 100. I revved it a bit, and the heat came back.

I thought I would find a low coolant level, but I've just checked it and it's fine. Maybe even a bit too full. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

--

Olly

I'm hoping it's not the water pump :-/

Where is the bypass for the heater matrix? I'll have to check the temps around it next time I spot a problem.

Air lock is a possibility - the system was filled by ordinary grease monkeys when they replaced the 'stat. I guess I'll drain and refill with new coolant in the prescribed manner. How much G13+ do I need to purchase for a normal fill?

Many thanks,

--

Olly

yeah its an air lock my 90 did the same thing, temp was up at 110. blew the heater core because of the pressure build up though the heater was on. fix it quick.

Is there a quick-fix for air locks? That is, without draining and re-filling. I can't do it on my drive, so it'll have to wait until I can get it into my dad's garage.

Thanks,

--

Olly

yes there is an easy fix, take a set of pliers with you wherever you go and some water. take the cap off the system, squeeze the top radiator hose rapidly like a plunger and the air in the system will normally evacuate to the expansion chamber. I find the squeezing harder and holding works well too. thats how I do it.