Sign in to follow this  
jamest

water!!

Im looking to go and see a rado vr6 this weekend.

The car sounds perfect apart from one thing- the water is needing to be topped up regularly!

The sender says that it has been taken to a main dealer and diagnostics run and the reason is that the fan is not coming on so the water is bubbling away.

Anybody have any views on this?

cheers

sounds like b/s to me mate , the fan will really only ever be needed in the summer when stuck in traffic

check in the oil filler cap for mayo (creamy ness) in case the head gasket has gone

check after a run that all the water pipes are hot, if some are hot and others cold then its probably the thermostat

VR6 run very hot. Even in the winter you need to be cruising at more than 30mph to prevent the water temp from creeping higher and you needing to run the fan.

If the fan doesn't work, it can cause problems, even in winter.

That said, if the guy is letting it overheat on a regular basis, you should probably put a warning sticker on the car "trouble ahead" ...

only ever heard mine in summer and it uses no water but yeah as matsaid if its been running low on water over a period of time it will takes it toll

could be as simple as the fan switch (about £8 ) or as expensive as a new fan and motor (couple of hundred quid!)

I'd echo what the other guys have said... if it's overheating, the head gasket ain't gonna be too happy... :|

The only place the water SHOULD ever escape from if it's overheating is the expansion tank (it's got the pressure relief valve in the cap) so if there's snail-trial signs of leaks elsewhere, run away! ;) :lol:

The sender says that it has been taken to a main dealer and diagnostics run and the reason is that the fan is not coming on so the water is bubbling away
I suspect the seller isn't being totally honest here. If the fan wasn't coming on & the water was "bubbling away", I strongly suspect the engine will have overheated. Be prepared for head gasket problems !!

Coolant does not just "bubble away". When the coolant gets too hot - the usual scenario is that the headgasket blows. The worst case scenario is that the head warps & needs replacing.

If the coolant problems were just a bad thermostat or fan switch, the main dealer would have either replaced these parts or advised him that they were the cause. These parts are easy to diagnose & a main dealer should spot them straight away.

Ask to see the sellers garage bill - this will detail the diagnostic work done & problems found. If he will not show this to you - walk away.