Sign in to follow this  
roo

Ooops!, is this bit important?

Ok, so this is completely my own fault and probably why it's never a good idea to start work late at night!.

Basically, I had a slight handling incident with my block as I was stripping it down and managed to snap off a small part of the casting near where the waterpump/thermostat would be :mad: , its a 9A block btw.

I really don't remember unbolting anything from this bit when I dismantled the block, but can anyone help me out and tell me for definite what it's for as i'm sure it's not for decoration. Could it be for cars with a/c fitted maybe?

Cheers.

i'll double check in the bentley but i think its for when you remove the engine and place it in an engine stand to work on

A-ha! you've sussed it riley, ta. I've just had a fish around the shed in my box of parts and theres an aluminium bracket that fits with a couple of cutouts to clear the sump (still don't remember taking it off though)...now it's just a question of how to fix it...

wahoo i got it right! :D :lol:

the 2 bolt holes below the broken one hold it as well dont they?

*may* be ok without?

but i dont know really,not sure of a way to repair either...

neil. :?

edit:now i seen GIXXERUK's pic im not sure about the way it mounts,i cant remember.

[align=center][] [][/align]

[align=center] [][/align]

that shape^ with the block the right way round,but im sure the bottom bolt goes into the block like the others???

im confusing myself now!

not quite, the two bolt holes below the snapped off bit definitely fix the water pump to the block.

I'm not sure how sturdy it'd be fixing the bracket with just using one hole, probably not something i'd want to try either :)...i'll have a look around halfords tomorrow, probably cake it in fibreglass or something!

Cheers for the pic GIXXERUK, looks like the bently actually has usefull information, unlike a haynes.

not quite, the two bolt holes below the snapped off bit definitely fix the water pump to the block.

ahh right m8,i cant just picture it...

the water pump isnt part of the bracket is it???

how about chemical meatal or something?

neil. :D

riley I think I know what you mean, there is another bracket not in the bentley pic that also fits onto the same double ended (ooh er!) fixing bolts that the waterpump uses, this supports the alternator and power steering pump too.

Bonding the broken tab with some Loctite liquid metal sounds like a good plan, i've used their retaining compound before and its amazing how strong it is.

:shock:

riley I think I know what you mean, there is another bracket not in the bentley pic that also fits onto the same double ended (ooh er!) fixing bolts that the waterpump uses, this supports the alternator and power steering pump too.

i thought so m8,my memorys really bad lately...

better slow down smoking i reckon :roll:

good luck sorting it m8.

neil. :D

get hold of some JB weld (liquid metal)... Follow the instructions on the tubes and bolt on the bracket so that it'll hold the broken part in the correct place it needs to be... that should sort it out... 8)

(I've seen people repair the combustion chamber part of cylinder heads with JB weld successfully in the past, so it'll definately take the heat off the bottom of the block! ;) )

I'm tempted by the chewing gum idea, but I think the liquid metal sounds like a good plan and most importantly not very expensive :D. I got a quote from a company who weld cast iron and they wanted £200 plus vat! :shock: ...strangely enough I shan't be using them!