Sign in to follow this  
bighands

Monday morning issues!

What a great start today!

Nearly to work and the gear linkage has broken, and need to know if its fixable or need a new bit!

It has come off at the gearbox end, seems to of slipped out of the fixing to the gearbox control arm thing?!? like a little bit of rubber, an this L piece of metal has become disconnected that should be connected somehow, thus loosing all gears!

Can i fix it by unbolting it and reassembling it or is it buggered?

Excuse the picture, bt im no van-gough!

MORNING EVERYONE! :)

Not wanting to give false diagnosis (as I am usually good at) but...

IIRC the part is cheap enough to do and its not a total sod of a job for the garage to do - only slightly awkward bit is that the exhaust has to come off so that they can get access to the underside of the gear shifter system..

Jim is confused I think. He's talking about the gear STICK end, not the BOX end...

But he's a mod, so he can edit all our posts and make it look like he knew what he was talking about anyway... ;)

Ah, it doesnt look snapped or anything, just disconnected, so just wondering if i could undo the bolt and slot the L bracket bit back in, and it will work, and not happen again?!?!

I was under the impression that if the selector snapped even at the gearbox end you still had to remove all the stuff underneath to run a new cable / etc to the box.

As I said though, i'm frequently wrong and have got my wires crossed. And whilst I might be a mod, i'm not about to start editing posts! I can accept that i'm full of crapola and don't need to try and cover it up :)

no, it jst seems to of come disconnected at the gearbox bit, dunno if the rubber bit was suposed to be moulded to the L bracket or as said, it can be re-assembled?

Cheers!

hi guys, bighands hasnt got internet access where he is, so he's text me to say that he's sorted it and thanks to everyone for their help

x

Right! my mechanic is having troubble getting the part numbers forthe gear cables, VW sent the wrong ones, and are saying there discontinued!!!! does anyone have the part numbers for the gear change cables/rods? (the cable that goes from the gear box tothe gearstick) and more so if they are still available?

Cheers!

*UPDATE*

VW said the cable was discontinued in 1995!! andthat the one they sent out should of fitted, but mechanic said its about an inch 2 short, so you cant get second and fourth?!?!

They are sending another one out, but he doesnt seem hopefull!!

Is this part a common one, and is it the same as any other C's?

Give us the number of the on ethat broke. Hope your man didn't bin it>

I am breaking a Passat maybe they are the same??

Gavin

Cheers gav,but i need my car back tomorrow, so cant wait for the post :)

And soon as i get it back, i will be able to fit the new relay, and post the one i got soaked back up to u! but the case is slighty damaged on he one i got, think postie booted it about a bit, so if its cool i will swap the cases round.

What model passet is the same so i can make sure he has the right one? he has kept the original cable to :)

Cheers

Yeah swap the cases, the one I have is a 2 litre GL on a J. Get the number off teh cable and I can cross ref it.

Gavin