Sign in to follow this  
Shilakadaddy

G60's - Post bhp and spec list!

Everyone who has a G60 that's been on the rollers, post your figures, and what you've done to the engine to achieve it :)

Go on, pretend you're on the vortex forum for a bit :wink:

Modifications I know of :

Jabba Stage4 Charger

68mm Pulley

SNS Stage 5 Chip

Porsche 3.5bar FPR

Golf G60 Intercooler

Magnex Exhaust

Supersprint Cat Bypass

K&N Panel Filter

Pulling 207BHP and 187lb/ft of torque :)

Wow, that's good power! How was your SNS chip set up? sorry for the :offtopic1:

I wish I could tell you.. I bought the car basically as it is. All I am doing is just keeping on top of the maintaince and repairs now.. it has all the power I want!

If you PM brookescourt he should be able to tell you all you need to know about the car.. it used to belong to him :)

Good strategy, buy a car that has been set up nicely to save all the heart and wallet ache! On the face of it I have a broadly similar set up bar the FMIC. I haven't had mine RR'd so I'm perpetually wondering what it makes!

Jim i dont understand that low torque figure in comparison to the high BHP figure, mine returned the opposite with 192brake and 210odd torque, I always thought force induced motors had higher torque? just curious really....anyone got ideas?

I was thinking that too :? although there are some very odd readings froms G60's - like exturbo2003 with 225bhp & 208ftlb's with very few mods while BigEastsideVWG60 has done a great deal more to his engine iirc (can't find the spec atm) yet made 1 bhp less at the wheels...

I was hoping this thread could identify some common patterns of sucessful mods on a G60 (beyond the obvious chip and pulley)... my aim is to have 200bhp @ the wheels with the 1.8 block and G-lader charger... I guess the work involved to achieve this differs significantly from car to car.

Jim i dont understand that low torque figure in comparison to the high BHP figure, mine returned the opposite with 192brake and 210odd torque, I always thought force induced motors had higher torque? just curious really....anyone got ideas?

I've always been a bit confused by the comparatively low torque on my motor as well.. as you say, G60's normally seem to have as much if not more torque than BHP.

But i've had very very very similar figures from two totally different rolling roads now (AMD and Stealth) so the numbers must be right. I reckon the g-lader isn't pushing that much boost (around 12psi according to the boost gauge) so perhaps after a rebuild it will make the motor a lot more punchy?

JMR solid front mount

Piper 270 degree cam

Kent adjustable cam pulley (+/- 10 degrees)

Jabbasport "big valve" ported & flowed head

Ported throttle body

Ported exhaust manifold

Port matched inlet manifold

Large front mounted intercooler

Polished aluminium boost pipes

Boost return removed

Carbon can removed

Jetex cone air filter & heatshield

R1 supercharger

Red top (hi-flow) injectors

SNS re-chip

68mm supercharger pulley

CAT bypass pipe

Magnex stainless steel exhaust

That'll be what's on my car once I re-build it all - R/R plots should be interesting............

mods : flowed throttle body

TELL ME MORE! 8)

Tell us all more!! How big was the pulley?! :lol:

@ Steve - what you hoping for after it all gets rebuilt?

My G60 (now sold to Kevin off the forum to be replaced by the 24v V6) had a BBR chip and 70mm pulley and produced 200BHP and 194lb/ft of torque on a hot day.

There were no other mods except for the fact that it was properly rebuilt (new valve guides etc..) and everything was working as it should do.

There is no point in tuning up an engine until everything else is perfect, so spend some money getting everything tight and and set-up perfectly, then do the mods and you will get much better results. I would hope if I had continued to mod mine it would have produced some nice figures.

Jay

Steve - what you hoping for after it all gets rebuilt?
I have no idea - somewhere on the better side of 200bhp though.

I'm not doing the work to get a massively high bhp figure, I'm more interested in where the max torque appears in the rev range. This is the reason why I bought the adjustable cam pulley. I can advance or retard the cam timing slightly, this will shift the max torque further up or lower down the rev range. Max torque lower in the rev range makes the car feel faster, higher in the rev range gives higher bhp. This is one reason why turbodiesels feel a lot faster than the bhp figure would suggest. The max torque is quite low in the rev range.

I'm gonna have to do a fair bit of testing to get it all set up how I like it.

Dyno figures.

pah.

differs from road to road.

True enough, but I think quite a lot of people have got figures from Stealth's RR... and others like Jim who have had consistant results from different sources... so they must mean something.

I'm not doing the work to get a massively high bhp figure, I'm more interested in where the max torque appears in the rev range. This is the reason why I bought the adjustable cam pulley. I can advance or retard the cam timing slightly, this will shift the max torque further up or lower down the rev range. Max torque lower in the rev range makes the car feel faster, higher in the rev range gives higher bhp. This is one reason why turbodiesels feel a lot faster than the bhp figure would suggest. The max torque is quite low in the rev range.

I'm gonna have to do a fair bit of testing to get it all set up how I like it.

I like that idea... food for thought for my next installment of engine mods :)

How long till your car's up and running? ...I think the spec of your engine is similar to the spec I'm aiming for, for mine 8)

How long till your car's up and running? ...I think the spec of your engine is similar to the spec I'm aiming for, for mine 8)
Hoping to have the engine rebuilt over the next couple of weeks. Still waiting for my new front mount intercooler from Behr. I need to get the charger & throttle body down to g-werks fairly soon too. Reallistically, it's gonna be April before it's fully mobile again.

My figures a good while back now were:

245.5 BHP

200.5 ft LBS

but that was before I had another few mods added, and the engine is still not finished yet, watch this space...., :D

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

At stealth last year I got 198.2 Lb/Ft with 219Bhp.... With a boost leak and running one tooth out on the cam... :oops:

This engine will be installed into my new grey G60 shortly with a couple of other little mods done to it too... I'm hoping for around 250BHP and 225 Lb/Ft 8)

goodridge, Inside the throttle body there are 2 butterfly valves which allow air into the inlet manifold - controlled by the throttle cable. There is a fair amount of alloy around & in between these valves that restricts air flow. This excess alloy is removed - I'm not sure if Daz fitted larger butterfly valves or not though ?

Here's a piccy of my standard throttle body -

charge cooler, water inj, 3.5 bar reg, grey injectors ,35mm ex v, ported head ,270 cam, 65mm pulley, sns 5.5 233ftlb and 225bhp, note its all low down. nice.! (theres two results on each, the thicker is last, after we played with timing and cam timing)

At stealth last year I got 198.2 Lb/Ft with 219Bhp.... With a boost leak and running one tooth out on the cam... :oops:

This engine will be installed into my new grey G60 shortly with a couple of other little mods done to it too... I'm hoping for around 250BHP and 225 Lb/Ft 8)

I thought 250bhp was about as much as you could get out of the G60 engine without resorting to strengthening internals and the like.Or having to strip it down and rebuild the thing. :?

I haven't had mine on a rolling road yet.No-one here has one.

The last time it was RR'd was at Star about three years ago-183bhp with a stage 4 Jabba charger,chip and pulley.With the rest of the mods I've done hoping for around 200bhp.And a shed load of torque.