Sign in to follow this  
saml666

1.8 16v just won't start...

Girlfriends 16v Corrado just won't go. Lately it has had an intermittent stalling problem but now just won't go atall.

I have checked that there's a spark, and loosened the file lines on top of the meter to make sure there's something in there but then it rained hard :(

Any ideas? What are the common things that cause a 16v engine to do this. She drove it to work OK but wouldn't go that afternoon.

Oh yeah, cambelt is still there!! :wink:

Check the warm up regulator on the side of the head - it has a blue plug and 2 fuel hoses going to it. Remove the blue plug and measure the resistance on the terminals - should be approx 24 ohms i think, if no resistance at all warm up coil broken which means fuel pressure will be wrong and warm up regulator needs replacing.

Had simular problem with one of my golfs last year

Cheers blokes!

I think we replaced dizzy cap and arm only a few months ago, the fact that theres a spark means it should at least try and fire?

I just checked the resistance across the connectors on the end of the head... The one in the head casting itself with 2 fuel pipes (greenish?) measures 24ohms, the one in the inlet manifold (blue) measures 10ohms, does it sound like these are OK then?

Cheers for the fuel filter suggestion, but again, its new...

Keep those suggestions coming! Thanks everyone

Sam

Cheers blokes!

I just checked the resistance across the connectors on the end of the head... The one in the head casting itself with 2 fuel pipes (greenish?) measures 24ohms, the one in the inlet manifold (blue) measures 10ohms, does it sound like these are OK then?

Sam

Uplug the connector to the Warm up regulator -it'll still run- I've had mine unpluggd for a couple of weeks! reconnect if it makes no difference.

Does the car have an immobiliser? - could be faulty.

Check the static timing, make sure its OK. Recheck the Distributer - its new but still could be faulty!

Cheers skimask, I thought it couldn't be the immobiliser as I checked it enabled (no spark) and disabled (sparks) but then remembered it probably also disables the fuel pump...

...in fact I know it disables the fuel pump as when you disable the immob' the pump runs briefly. Guess what - it don't now...

...think we've found the problem but will only get a chance to look tomorrow, will post the result...

Cheers again, Sam

Cheers for the immobiliser clue, it got me looking in the right place again and hey presto, one burned up nasty knackered relay :)

All back on song now, cheers guys !

Sam