Sign in to follow this  
Hocuspocus

ANOTHER central locking question

I have searched the pages for an answer to this question, but haven’t found the answer to this little problem.

My central locking is not working: I can lock and unlock the driver’s door, passenger door and boot individually using the key, but they do not work together (from any lock), nor do any of the locks work with the remote full closure alarm (although the windows and sunroof all close) when I press the lock button. Its Clifford 50x, if that makes any difference.

Also, I can’t hear the central locking pump working. I’ve bought another pump from the scrappy, and that doesn’t work either.

I’ve seen some posts talking about a relay which can go faulty – I haven’t heard a click from the relays, but I haven’t listened very carefully yet. I’ve seen Bentley’s fuse layout, but there’s no mention of central locking.

Anyone got any ideas which relay works the central locking – or if its not that, any ideas where to look next????

The fact none of the locks trigger the Central locking pump suggests to me the main controller isn't working. Both door handles have 2 way switches in them that activate the central locking controller (the alarm taps into the controller aswell for full closure). There's a bunch of relays behind the driver's side rear door card that control the windows and things. Might want to look in there.

When did this start happening, before or after the alarm installation? It's not unusual for bodging b@stard Clifford installers to break something during the install. If it's ocurred recently (post alarm install) then take it back to where ever the alarm was installed and get them to check the Clifford full closure module etc.

check that there's power to the multiplug which connects to the P/S pump... If there is, then it's your pump, if not then you need to start tracing wires... :|

Cheers guys - I'm beginning to suspect the controller - agghhh!

Not sure whether there's power going to te pump - I'll check tonight, but I kinda think there isn't because I've tried two pumps now ...

The alarm has been working fine with the central locking for ages (apparently). Its just suddenly decided to stop working!

I've seen a relay layout for the UK fusebox, but not seen a key (which relay does what ...). Is there a central locking relay - either under the dash, or in the door?

The leccy gremlins are having fun - the spoiler works automatically, but not manually on the rocker switch....

There aren't any relays in the door mate, too wet :wink:

As I said, try behind the drivers side rear door card, there's a bunch of relays there and also put a meter across the pump plug as Henny suggested. If no voltage when the C/L is activated, at least we then know the controller is goosed, or it's fuse/relay.

Sorry Kev - don't mean to be thick (but I probably am being really thick) - where this driver's side rear door card then? I've checked fuse 21, but do you know which other fuse might be knackered .... I'm just hoping that it will be something other than the controller!!

Cheers mate!

It's behind you dude! There are obviously no rear doors on the Corrado, but the panel covering the 1/4 panel is still known as a door card though, LOL!

You need to take this panel off to get to the relays behind it! Be careful as the clips break real easy.

Ahhh - so I WAS being really thick!!

OK, I'll have a dig in there to see what I can find - hopefully, I'll find a knackered relay! Do you know which one to look at - no probs if not, I'll check them all while I'm there.

Cheers mate - great board by the way - real gold mine of info!

Don't take the card off just yet....I'm not 100% sure the relays behind there control the C/L but they're definitely window related.

I'll ask my car alarm/wiring guru and let you know where the controller is for definite....

Thanks mate.

Not sure how reliable these CD manuals are, but I found a wiring diagram for the central locking - shows the controller to be inside the pump (which kinda makes sense, because when i took mine to bits, i founds a load of electronics in there .. was only expecting a pump!!)

But it does show that fuse 16 (probably the US version - God knows what the UK version will be!) and fuse 52 (I guess this is the one Yash was referring to - above the middle of the fuse box) have a hand in the operations.

I attach the diagram in case anyone's interested.

I think the gubbins inside the motor determines how long the pump stays on, it's some kind of pressure detector/timer thing I think.

Looking at the diagram....it seems that just an output is sent to the motor and then it must do the rest itself...but the main guts of the system is a door switch and relay per side and it does indeed suggest the door relays link into the window control module, which is definitely behind the rear door card.

What car is yours? Note the * = Except SLC (VR6).

I’m a VR6 – 92 K – later build type. Presume the SLC was the US equivalent of the UK VR6.

Given that I have tried replacing the central locking pump, that this unlikely that both relays/switches are buggered, I can only think that its this mysterious fuse 16, wherever the UK equivalent of that US location is ….

I think the link into the window control works – press the lock button on the remote and all the windows and roof close.

Busy weekend of tinkering I think!! Thanks for all your help!

Yeah I think it could be that fuse then mate as it does sound like that kind of sudden and total failure!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Your lucky mate Ive got no full closure or c/l, If I unplug the pump or disconect the batt it seems to reset its self and will lock but not unlock or close windows etc..

Its been like this since i bought it nearly a year ago, Had old alarm stripped out (by quality fitter), Tryed second hand pump and main control

thing (behind rear 1/4 panel) and still no luck...Given up now think Ill give it to the stealers to look at as I really need the toad ai606 that ive had for about 6 month fitted.

any ideas ?? Keep us posted on how you get on.

cheers.

Good news - problem sorted! The "lock" wire in the driver's door had shorted, presumably causing the locking pump to try and continuously lock (was burnt out - could smell it!) - fix the corroded wires, chuck in replacement pump from the scrappie and bingo - problem sorted!

Now for the heater ... power going into control unit but no power the other side .... given that that direction controls are very stiff, i'll have to take the whole lot out and have a fiddle, but in the meantime, I have bypassed the speed control with a two position toggle - full on or full off - which works fine for the time being!