Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Is it the clutch?

Hi everyone!

Okay a bit of a problem.

When I am at standstill and drive off in 1st gear I get a squeaking noise from up front and it's not the calipers.

I don't think it happens if i do the same in second.

The clutch does not slip at all.

If I press in the clutch (in or out of gear, with the engine on or off) it squeaks, if i push the clutch down really slowly I can hear 7 small clicks and also 7 small clicks if i lift my foot off slowly.

No problems with the car driving except one day when the car got rreally hot (traffic jam getting lost in London) I let my foot off really slowly into second and the clutch banged down (happened twice and my foot didn't slip)

This is all typed so badly but if anyone has any ideas - new clutch, slave cylinder, clutch bearings?

No idea, I've spent 4k now on the car since Easter 94 (not including tyres, servicing, BBS RS's, Milltek, FK's, petrol, just mechanical things) but I think this might be the last problem!

The clutch does not slip at all.

If I press in the clutch (in or out of gear, with the engine on or off) it squeaks, if i push the clutch down really slowly I can hear 7 small clicks and also 7 small clicks if i lift my foot off slowly.

If the clutch isn't slipping its fine. If you get a whining noise then its the CRB but this sounds more like you need to grease or oil the clutch pedal pivot. Shouldnt be too hard to do. the clicks are most likely to do with an auto adjust facility if your car has this feature.

To test your clutch, drive along at 2k in 4th, dip the clutch and rev the engine and keep your foot down. sidestep the clutch at about 4krpm and it should bring the revs back down fairly quickly/ speed the car up. If it takes ages and you dont speed up the clutch is shot.

I've heard countless Corrados do that, but mostly VR6s. It's more of a creak than a squeak. Get someone to press the pedal with you standing over the engine and you'll notice it's coming from inside the bell housing.

Vince and I looked into this when my box was off and we reckon it's either the pressure plate fingers creaking or the ceramic actuator arm ball.

Nothing to worry about....just an irritation.

Thanks guys, will get some help with all sugestions, CRB? clutch release bearing? I think thats what my mechanic friend thought it was, he'll fit a new clutch for me for £100 if I supply the parts as he can use the ramps at BMW on Saturdays. I'm sure the cars didn't do this from new so something is either dry or slowly wearing out.

How long should clutches last anyway - I'm not quite on 70k yet

It is very annoying leaving peoples houses or in town centers when my pride and joy squeaks when I get going.

Kev - your right it creaks when I press down the peddle, how did you solve the problem? did you replace the pressure plate fingers and the ceramic actuator arm ball?

Scruffy - have tried that also and doesn't sound like it's the actual clutch plates slipping then.

It's not the release bearing mate. Mine isn't solved I'm afraid, we couldn't sort it or find the cause.... Vince put a stethoscope on the clutch housing whilst I pressed the pedal and he couldn't say for sure what it was, but reckoned the pressure plate was a likely suspect.

It's nothing outside of the clutch housing, we checked.

I've had 3 clutches in my car and the noise remains.....I think it's just a VW thing as I've heard G60s do it aswell.

Sure thing. I don't think many people notice it to be honest!

It might be worth speaking to Vince again in case he's had any more ideas, it was nearly 2 years ago when we looked at the problem.

Sorry yeah, I keep assuming everyone knows Vince is the main man at Stealth....that's what happens when you've been going there since 1999!

I have a funny clutch noise too..... not sure if its the same as yours. After I have let the clutch out for the first time in the morning I get a clunk noise a couple of seconds after. Not always, say 60% of the time.

Also have a squeakie Clutch pedal in the car and a squeckie release bearing when my foot is reating on the clutch pedal in traffic. Think i might drop in an autobox!!!!

That'll be the ABS self test Andy, mine does that too. It kind of shakes the whole pedal box, for want of a better phrase! Feels like a blip of grinding.

Mine had also started to make the strange 'groaning' noise on take up too, a few months before it started clattering. Not sure what caused the groaning as I replaced the whole clutch assy, release arm (it was fractured and bending), release bearing, ball pin & spring and slave cyl. New Redline MT90 in the box and the clutch is super light, quiet and the changes silky smoth.

i have the same noise as Andy Brookes, the clutch seems fine and gear change is clean as, sometimes gets stuck in reverse, i will turn the car of and release clutch and re try

could be kev...i'll take more notice of the noise next time. It always seems to make it as i get to the end of my road a few seconds after releasing the clutch. Just a coincidence I guess.

biggerbigneil, I have this exact same noise on my '94 VR as well! No clutch slippage, no problems shifting, just a (difficult to describe) noticable 'woooooot' noise on pull-away in first. I find it's worse if I pull away gently and lift the clutch slowly, almost like it's the friction plates themselves making the noise as they start to engage. I've had it since I got the car 18months ago and haven't noticed any problems, but if you find out what it is let us know as it is a touch embarressing on occasion :roll:

Kebabman - Yes thats exactly the problem I have, it makes that same noise especially in the instance you wrote about - really bloody annoying

I don't want to go quite to the extremes that 2CC did to fix it though unless I have to

you guys seem to have exactly the same symptoms as mine, let me know if you come across any fix....thnks

Just to confirm what's happening here, do we all have this symptom?:-

Engine off, pressing clutch in causes a loud creaking noise? Or if the pedal is pressed really slowly, you get a click click click click click kind of noise?

A groan/squeal under take up would implicate the release bearing.

I too have done exactly what 2CC did (except the ball pin) and mine still creaks..... my theory is the ball pin (ceramic) creaks inside it's socket (release arm) once the assembly grease wears off it.

Either that or the pressure plate fingers are also dry and creaking when pressed by the release bearing....

Either way it's not a problem as such, just an annoyance.

e.g i drive off slowly, after 2/3 seconds, 2/3 metres there is friction type noise when clutch is released....this happens everytime, even if the engine has been turned off for few mins and then restarted.....

Ah right, that's the ABS pump doing it's self test....it shakes the whole pedal box, which is why you can feel it through the clutch pedal.

He he... I get both noises :roll:

I often get the ABS self test noise (had this on all my C's except the G60) and also get more of a low pitched metallic groan pulling away slowly in first gear. Sounds the same as kebabman's prob. Is this the release bearing? How much to get it sorted? (roughly)

I don't get any creaking or clicking noises that I've noticed, it's just this metallic 'woooot' noise (sorry, can't describe it any better :lol:) on take-up in first. As said it doesn't affect the function, it's just annoying and I'd like to know what causes it...not enough to buy a new clutch though ;)